For those with a sable merle....

Cleo2014

Forums Enthusiast
Do you ever go to a store or park and someone tell you that the coloring on your sheltie is unique, very pretty but unique? That they expect a sheltie that has those colors to look more like Lassie? This one guy last night couldn't get over the fact that Cleo did not look like Lassie and just stood there ogling over her. That was the first time I ever experience that.
 
I don't have a Sable Merle but I frequently get "I didn't know they came in that color" with my tri-colored Keiran. It's fun to blow people's minds out of the water.
 
They were probably blown away by how beautiful she is! Many people don't know what a sheltie is, let alone introducing a merle gene in the mix. Phoebe is a sable merle and people have commented on her color because she is such a blondie.
 
We get the "I didn't know shelties came in that color!" with bi-black Missy. Recently people have just asked, "what is she a mix of?" Ummm.. she's a purebred.
 
well, with four colors, I've gotten it all.
mostly with Destin being a biblue - I've never seen that color........
and with both merles having one blue eye and one brown eye- a lot of people never get past that:winkgrin:
 
Mostly we get, "How big is he going to get?"
"Well, he's a she, and she's seven, so that's pretty much it."
"Oh, she isn't the puppy?"
"No. Annabelle is the mother."
"Oh really, of both of them? And they're different colors too. Wow."
 
Mostly we get, "How big is he going to get?"
"Well, he's a she, and she's seven, so that's pretty much it."
"Oh, she isn't the puppy?"
"No. Annabelle is the mother."
"Oh really, of both of them? And they're different colors too. Wow."

LOL, LOL. Sounds familiar. People didn't know what to say when we first got Brooke, our bi-black, along with our two sables, Asta and Ally. You could see them think: "Well, she sure looks like the other two, BUT... maybe she's a Border Collie".
As for size, people were SO confused that Ally (14.5 inches) was Asta's (18 inches) aunt. "Ohhh, I thought it was her puppy!"
 
Mostly we get, "How big is he going to get?"
"Well, he's a she, and she's seven, so that's pretty much it."
"Oh, she isn't the puppy?"
"No. Annabelle is the mother."
"Oh really, of both of them? And they're different colors too. Wow."
Spitfire is always a she when Sca is around as he is so dainty in comparison to Sca who is a very stocky sheltie
 
Just recently on our walk, a gentleman asked "Sheltie right?" Yes sir! "Never seen one that color". We get that a lot.
 
Back
Top