Cindy
Premium Member
Yesterday started off normal. We went for our stroller walk, where Gavin did his normal amount of walking. We got home, he followed me around as normal. Same thing when I got home, he followed me around for dinner. Then at some point in the evening he started slipping. His bad leg would be hyper-extended and trip him up (so I thought). So I picked him up and set him in his bed to rest. But it didn't get better. He couldn't get up on his own poor guy, and he tried. He couldn't even stand on his own, he'd collapse immediately. I tried using a supportive harness but I was pretty much carrying him completely. Thankfully the wheelchair is wonderful for going to the bathroom. He pottered around like normal in the cart, both rear legs behaving pretty much normally. (So no paralysis).
Last night was rough, as Gavin kept trying to get up so my sleep was a mess as I worried about him. Got up early this morning and watered him (I forgot about that last night). Then out for potty break. So his legs can both move and he feels things (I tried dremeling his toenails and got a normal response when I did that). I can stand him up and he can stay standing. if he moves much, he goes down.
Normally I'd have him at the vets, but with COVID things are so messed up. A friend's wife is a vet at our local specialist, so I know things are still like this. Emergency visit would mean waiting all day and Gavin would see whoever is available. An appointment would be with who ever is available as well. I'd probably get an x-ray and maybe some steroids, and be told to keep him on crate rest.
Gavin is being soo good, but I know he is confused and probably scared. I will leave him in a crate today when I am at work (short day). I will keep standing him and try to see if I can get him stronger. I might try emergency visit to the vet if things don't improve over the weekend.
Any advice from someone who has gone through this?
Last night was rough, as Gavin kept trying to get up so my sleep was a mess as I worried about him. Got up early this morning and watered him (I forgot about that last night). Then out for potty break. So his legs can both move and he feels things (I tried dremeling his toenails and got a normal response when I did that). I can stand him up and he can stay standing. if he moves much, he goes down.
Normally I'd have him at the vets, but with COVID things are so messed up. A friend's wife is a vet at our local specialist, so I know things are still like this. Emergency visit would mean waiting all day and Gavin would see whoever is available. An appointment would be with who ever is available as well. I'd probably get an x-ray and maybe some steroids, and be told to keep him on crate rest.
Gavin is being soo good, but I know he is confused and probably scared. I will leave him in a crate today when I am at work (short day). I will keep standing him and try to see if I can get him stronger. I might try emergency visit to the vet if things don't improve over the weekend.
Any advice from someone who has gone through this?
