Gavin's radiation treatment

Cindy, these treatments take a serious toll on the body and it takes a long time to get back to the full level of energy. Sketch had his amp surgery 6 months ago on the 23rd of September and he still tires more easily than he did before the surgery...and he didn't have to go through radiation like Gavin did. Also, if I am remembering correctly Gavin is 10 years old? In people years he is well into middle age and recovery is slower. I suspect if they had both been only a couple of years old we would see a faster bounce back on stamina levels.

As long as Gavin is happy and not in any pain...that is wonderful...even if he does tire a bit more easily. :hugs

Trini
 
I know it has only been 2 months, but the vet never warned me he would have a slow recovery of his strength and stamina after he healed from radiation. And I'm not complaining about him still being tired so much, but more that no one told me how long this would last. When he had his last checkup 2 weeks after radiation all they told me was how great Gavin was doing, nothing but superlatives. I am sure that was because his leg's wound was all healed up and Gavin was fully walking and playing on it. He was freakishly and amazingly good during his treatment, playing on 3 legs at times.

Even trying to read up on this, you can find people telling their story. Nothing really about dogs. And Gavin is 10, but a really healthy 10 (we are middle aged together :). I just don't know if I should expect this to be the new normal or if I should try and help him regain his stamina. I have a 3 month follow up in April..
 
Glad Gavin is doing well. Hopefully the follow up with show that the cancer was herded right out of his body.

I just don't know if I should expect this to be the new normal or if I should try and help him regain his stamina.

Research Canine Conditioning. It's pretty low impact but has amazing results. I started doing canine conditioning with Keiran for agility and within about 6 weeks he developed enough muscle mass to begin to control his decent down a 5'9" a-frame. We try to spend about 5-10 minutes a day on it. I have products from both Toto Fit (new company and I LOVE their equipment) and FitPaws. To Keiran the workouts are like playing a game with mom. (The fact that there are a lot of treats involved probably helps.)
 
I know it has only been 2 months, but the vet never warned me he would have a slow recovery of his strength and stamina after he healed from radiation. And I'm not complaining about him still being tired so much, but more that no one told me how long this would last. When he had his last checkup 2 weeks after radiation all they told me was how great Gavin was doing, nothing but superlatives. I am sure that was because his leg's wound was all healed up and Gavin was fully walking and playing on it. He was freakishly and amazingly good during his treatment, playing on 3 legs at times.

Even trying to read up on this, you can find people telling their story. Nothing really about dogs. And Gavin is 10, but a really healthy 10 (we are middle aged together :). I just don't know if I should expect this to be the new normal or if I should try and help him regain his stamina. I have a 3 month follow up in April..

I don't think this is the new normal. It really does take quite a while to regain stamina after radiation treatment.
 
Gavin has fur!!!!!!
OK, I know, not a surprise for a Sheltie :)

His naked leg from radiation has started sprouting some hairs.
There are more further away from the radiation site (like by his toes and high up his leg), but there definitely are a few hairs here and there.

So we are 10 weeks post radiation therapy and 8 weeks post healed radiation burns. I wold say at least another 2 weeks before it is noticeable without an up close examination. I think the doc said 3 months, so we are on schedule.
It might never come back as thick as before, but I don't care.

:smile2:
 
Woo Hoo! Great news on Gavin. Ally's tummy got shaved bare months ago for the abdominal ultrasound and she looked like a greyhound for a while!!!! :smile2:
 
Back
Top