Genetic testing kits

I think I'll try PetSmart, or PetQuarters, since it's closer to us. The online ads seemed a little sketchy, although they did a good job of explaining why they can't confirm a purebreed. They sort of "prorate" the ancestry for you (75% this, 50%, down to 25%) . . . that's all I really want to know, how much Sheltie is there?

I think about the mixes within Shelties every time a Sheltie owner at training comments, "I can't believe yours is a purebreed Sheltie." I'm pretty sure they bought their Sheltie puppy because she's cute and little. She hasn't figured out why the puppy pees on the floor every time it is yelled at. I'm not so sure they realize their dog would probably come back with some Collie, some Pom, etc. in her line no matter how purebred she is. And, she probably is purebreed -- she's a gorgeous pup.

Okay, now I'm being whiny. But this woman's attitude is starting to stick in my head.
 
I think about the mixes within Shelties every time a Sheltie owner at training comments, "I can't believe yours is a purebreed Sheltie." I'm pretty sure they bought their Sheltie puppy because she's cute and little. She hasn't figured out why the puppy pees on the floor every time it is yelled at. I'm not so sure they realize their dog would probably come back with some Collie, some Pom, etc. in her line no matter how purebred she is. And, she probably is purebreed -- she's a gorgeous pup.

Okay, now I'm being whiny. But this woman's attitude is starting to stick in my head.

That's ok. I been informed that Ember can't possible be a sheltie because shelties don't come in that color(bi blue) and they aren't that small(13") and then when I tried to explain, I got argued with. The person didn't know what she was but she couldn't be a sheltie. Because she knew shelties. :rolleyes2: Um, OK
 
That's ok. I been informed that Ember can't possible be a sheltie because shelties don't come in that color(bi blue) and they aren't that small(13") and then when I tried to explain, I got argued with. The person didn't know what she was but she couldn't be a sheltie. Because she knew shelties. :rolleyes2: Um, OK

Ugh! People like that who think they know anything drive me insane! So frustrating!:rolleyes2:
 
That's ok. I been informed that Ember can't possible be a sheltie because shelties don't come in that color(bi blue) and they aren't that small(13") and then when I tried to explain, I got argued with. The person didn't know what she was but she couldn't be a sheltie. Because she knew shelties. :rolleyes2: Um, OK

I keep telling people my little tri girl "Evie" is a mix, because she doesn't have but one white hair on the end of her tail. All shelties have white hair there, so she must be a mix. :smile2:
 
That's ok. I been informed that Ember can't possible be a sheltie because shelties don't come in that color(bi blue) and they aren't that small(13") and then when I tried to explain, I got argued with. The person didn't know what she was but she couldn't be a sheltie. Because she knew shelties. :rolleyes2: Um, OK

Wow, if people can argue with a veterinarian and breeder, then I guess I'll have to get used to this ;0) I don't know if you can give a lot of credence to someone who doesn't realize Sheltie is one of very few breeds that could be bi-blue ; or are they the only ones?
 
Wow, if people can argue with a veterinarian and breeder, then I guess I'll have to get used to this ;0) I don't know if you can give a lot of credence to someone who doesn't realize Sheltie is one of very few breeds that could be bi-blue ; or are they the only ones?

Border Collies for sure can be bi blue. Corgis. I'm not sure but maybe Aussies. They may not I never seen one. But I wouldn't argue with an Aussie person that told me they didn't:smile2: Collies do not carry the bi gene. I'm not sure about other breeds off the top of my head. Maybe Danes. Dachshunds but they call them Dapple. There maybe others.
 
Back
Top