great deal on bones.

Bellesmom

Forums Enthusiast
so yesterday I spent too much money on a deer shank from the pet store. This morning I phoned the local meat market and asked them if they had bones which they did.. great big beef bones, some were knuckles, some were shanks. I bought 3 shank bones for Belle at the price of $.99 lb. I don't know how her tummy will handle the marrow, but they are a size I won't have to watch her every minute, and will occupy her for quite some time.

I have a question after reading some of the other threads here.. on the day that I give Belle one of these bones, should she have her dry food as usual in the morning? or just the bone that day?
 
Last edited:
Yes, everything I've read says not to give bones from weight-bearing animals. I did read you can scoop the marrow out of (soup)marrow bones and let them eat it. You can go to this forum dogfoodchat.com and post the question on their raw food forum and you'll get a response fast and those people really know their stuff when it comes to raw feeding.
 
I did read the threads posted, and it was interesting.. I guess I was going by the fact that I gave our last dog, a little 8 lb dog, raw bones to help his teeth and he never chipped, nor broke a tooth on them and he was an avid chewer.

I still plan on giving Belle the bones, although she will be watched continuously while she has them.. but I won't buy any more of them and will try chicken legs next time.

on another topic, I was reading on some of those threads concerning greenies.. there was a little dog that lived up the street from us, his owners fed him greenies and Cesar dog food and he died.
 
I give marrow bones to Toffee... he chews rather carefully... and doesn't bite right down to break them in half, he bites to scrape off the meat and marrow...
Misty the GSD is more of a hunker down and try to inhale but she also does well on these... I just make sure I watch them, etc
 
I checked all the bones after my last post, and there are no sharp edges on any of them.. I think that Belle will be able to get some, but not all the marrow. she has a lot of tartar for a young dog, and I am hoping that some of it will be removed by them.. I would like to feed raw, but have been reading up on it and it must be very expensive to buy all that meat. a chicken here is $8.00, so to buy all the meat one would need I think would be beyond our income, although feeding it once or twice a week would be something I would like to try. must admit though, that raw chicken bones make me nervous although I have read that because they kill the chickens at a young age, the bones are soft.

those that feed chicken legs and thighs, do you let them eat the bone?
 
Back
Top