Having second thoughts

JessicaR

Forums Enthusiast
I thought I wanted a collie and I was all prepared on getting one. I talked to different breeders, read books, and the breed standard over and over again. While trying to get to sleep last night without much success, I come to the conclusion that I dont want any other breed besides the sheltie. despite all their little quirks I love them to pieces!! so now I am back to square one, I need to find a good sheltie breeder :rolleyes2:
 
I agree, better that you know now. Now you can concentrate on finding a sheltie! (Yay! its not like we're biased or anything here :wink2:)
 
I would have got a collie and I would of loved him/her, but I just cant do it. I love shelties!! I guess part of the decision was because my husband who is a *gasp* cat person, loves our shelties. He asked me the other night why do i want to get a collie when i already have the perfect breed. I think I was just frustrated with Belle not letting people touch her when she was supposed to be my show dog, that and the lack of help from her breeder, who said she would help me learn to show. she now doesnt show hardly at all any more, and the last time I was their to see a show prospect dog, she was matted and cowering in the x-pen. which the breeders excuse was she was behind on grooming and the pup was scared because she had never been in the house or seen kids before. :mad: so now that I have had a chance to sit down and really think about what I want to do with the dog plus with the size issue, collies are just a little to big for me. I think I will just learn from my mistakes and try harder to get the perfect sheltie! ( not that the ones I have now arent perfect)
 
Clearly, your breeder should not be breeding. I don't know how old Belle was when you got her but it sounds like she was badly socialized as a baby.

My breeder had kids of her own and she made sure that her pups were mauled by the kids from the day they were born. Bacca shows no fear!

Good luck finding a reputable breeder. It can be a painstaking process. If you find a good one but may not have pups available - ask her if she knows of any other. In my city, they all know each and do not hesitate to pass along references.

Call in your network. I came across a breeder who lives in the same town as my parents. I got my dad to call the town vet to get info - I got lots! Unfortunately, by the time I decided to go ahead and get pup #2, the pup was sold. Now I'm looking at another breeder - also from the same town. Same drill.
 
I would have got a collie and I would of loved him/her, but I just cant do it. I love shelties!! I guess part of the decision was because my husband who is a *gasp* cat person, loves our shelties. He asked me the other night why do i want to get a collie when i already have the perfect breed. I think I was just frustrated with Belle not letting people touch her when she was supposed to be my show dog, that and the lack of help from her breeder, who said she would help me learn to show. she now doesnt show hardly at all any more, and the last time I was their to see a show prospect dog, she was matted and cowering in the x-pen. which the breeders excuse was she was behind on grooming and the pup was scared because she had never been in the house or seen kids before. :mad: so now that I have had a chance to sit down and really think about what I want to do with the dog plus with the size issue, collies are just a little to big for me. I think I will just learn from my mistakes and try harder to get the perfect sheltie! ( not that the ones I have now arent perfect)

Jessica, best of luck on your decision. When the right pup comes along you'll know. Sounds like your breeder needs to step out of breeding.:o It sounds like that breeders dogs may need rescue if she's not tending to them and they are cowering in her home. The poor baby , I hate when people neglect animals. Give them up to someone who will love them as they need and so deserve.:wink2:
Well anyhow Have aMerry Christmas and a safe and Healthy New Year to you and all your loved ones.
 
I got belle at 8 weeks, so she is pretty sociable as long as nobody forces themselves on her. the pup I was looking at was 6 months old. I know I should of walked away right then but when she brought Belle out we connected. She is such a great dog I am not sorry we took her. If no one would of bought her she would have been kept as a breeder. I think at one time she was a good breeder, she had good dogs and she showed them. now she just has way more than she can handle, but she still keeps breeding them. now she also breeds pomeranians. :dead: when I went to her website yesterday she had 18 older dogs for sale, ranging from 6 months to 10 years old. So I dont know if she is quiting breeding or if she is just reducing the amount of dogs she has. oh well I definitly am not going back to her!
 
Oh boy. 18 older ones for sale? It does sounds like they got in a little too deep :/ Perhaps if you post what areas you're wanting to shop someone may know a breeder with well socialized prospect puppies that you could look at. It helps being able to eliminate the bad eggs... especially since you've now had one that hasn't been much help to you.
 
I live in north west Ohio, in a little city called Tiffin. I would prefer to find a breeder within driving distance. I am about 2 hours south of Detroit, Michigan and about 2 hours north of Columbus, Ohio.
 
I always say "I will NEVER have another sheltie!" due to thier quirks, and bad experiances with one of my current shelties, Ruckus. but I am not really sure that I mean it. The last time I said that I would never have another sheltie my border collie passed away and all be darn.... I went out and got another sheltie!
lol! I was looking into Westie breeders and I just KNEW I was going to get one. But nope, I ended up with Lynn :)
 
Back
Top