Heavy sleeper or high alert?

Noah would react in the summer with the windows open at night, with a low woof to let me know something was in the backyard. Now in the daytime, he would react to things on the street.

Emma doesn't react much, unless she hears a louder noise. Now that the windows are shut, I don't expect her to react much.

Now Liam is another story. I so much as move in bed, he is around to see what is going on and to make sure I am okay. Don't know how he gets any sleep.
 
Bailey and Katy are both on high alert. Katy is still in her crate at night until we are sure she can handle the freedom while we are both sleeping. As soon as one of us stirs in the morning she is awake and begging to be free. Bailey can hear any sound in the house and has to wake us up and check it out.
 
my dog Finley will most assuredly wake me and my wife up.

She will wake me up and the wife and the neighbors and because of how smart these little guys are I am sure she sometimes calls my mom to wake her up to let her know someone walked by her house at night.

Nothing short of a ninja can walk past my townhouse without fin getting a clue
 
Meggie wakes up when a leaf falls off a tree. And she's in full protection mode! Cooper wakes up because Meggie goes nuts. He obviously doesn't hear all that Meggie does, but he sure can hear her barking.

I've been sleeping with the window open lately. The first night Megge barked at just about every sound from outside. I thought I'd go crazy. She's getting used to the sounds now, thankfully. I know one thing, no one is coming through my bedroom window without my little "alarm" going off!!
 
Dylan's certainly not a heavy sleeper but I think he is a selective sleeper if it makes sense. He won't get up if the noise is boring such as raining or windy outside. He won't get up for my alarm clock or my other dog's whines. However he is up in seconds when he hears my cats zooming around the house after their business. I think he wants to zoom around with them.
 
I thank god that I have Indy to protect me! When I fall asleep, I'm comatose until about 3 a.m. ANYBODY could crawl into bed beside me, and I would never notice.

Bacca is just as bad....he's my lazy bones. Indy on the other hand goes into instant alert....however, even then it would take several minutes of frenzied barking for me to even notice.

That being said, there is a certain bark that dogs do that will make you awake instantly - even in my comatose state. There is a certain shrillness to it that is different than the normal "there is a thunderstorm" bark.

I've only heard it a couple of times, but when they bark that way, it sures gets your heart thumping and your hand reaching for the telephone.
 
I just saw this, lol.

My family is like yours. DH and Miko are light sleepers. That's why DH has a hard time sleeping WITH Miko (because Miko moves so much). On the other hand, you have me and Koji. We're dead to the world and sleep and sleep and sleep.

And Barb, I have heard "that bark", scares the you know what out of me and I am up up up, and wound up even more. I hate that bark (only Miko has ever made it).
 
Back
Top