Hello

Welcome to the Forum, Tammy (and Harvey too).:smile2: Your boy must have been so tiny when you brought him home! The folks on this Forum give great advice:yes: and share both the goods times:biggrin2: as well as the bad ones.:cry:
 
Welcome to the group! You will love it here. I can't believe that the owner of the pups let Harvey go at 4 weeks old?! That is insane! I guess I have some questions, did this guy let you see the parents? Were they kept in the house or out in kennels? Were there a ton of other dogs there? I'm just asking because there are so many puppy mills out there. Good luck with you puppy! He is a real cutie pie!!
 
He is adorable! I love the picture of him sleeping with his chipmunk! and with Fritz (Fritz looks like he's having a good dream as he appears to be smiling :smile2:)
 
To answer mcguiregirl2248, the breeder did show us the mother. She was very well behaved and appeared healthy. We did not see the sire however. As for the amount of dogs there, I didn't see any others except for the mother and the puppies. The breeder did say that he had other dogs that he kept in kennels at the back of the house, I believe, and that he rotates them. Apparently, sometimes they live in the house, and then in the kennel, which struck me as odd. I've heard about puppy mills before. In fact, I had an American Eskimo whom I had to put down recently (too soon, she was Fritz's half-sister) that I think may have come from a puppy mill. She had a heart murmer and was very shy. Anyways, when I was searching for a sheltie, I tried to gather all credentials and opinions of the breeder. He seemed like a credible guy through his website (which stated health guarantee on puppies) so I went with him. But after seeing his place, and hearing about the odd kennel situation, not to mention the fact that he released Harvey at only four and half weeks, I am beginning to wonder how decent of a breeder he is. But, in his defense, Harvey is healthy and he has a great personality and tempermant.

And yes, Ania, Fritz was probably having a nice dream of chasing cats. :)
 
awww he looks tiny but hes cute:) nice to see he has another dog to cuddle up with. I would say the breeder you got him from was not much of a breeder or is doing a good job espically if he let him go at 4 weeks...yikes! As far as rotating the dogs in and out of the house I know alot of breeders who do that and its not uncommon. Some dont get along and you have to keep females seperate from males when they are in season..etc..but the sending him out at 4 weeks definatly sends up a warning flag!
 
Yes, I agree that 4.5 weeks is young, but it's done and now you have a wonderful little pup, that loves you and one that you love just as much! :smile2: I am sure he will do fine! (just think of all the animals that lose their mom's even younger than that, and grow up and are OK)
I think this is a good thing for all of us to watch out for if we are looking for a new puppy :yes:. It is so hard to find 'reputable' breeders. A few weeks ago, we had a thread that discussed breeders and finding good ones.
 
Hi, Tammy. Don't you worry. Think of it this way -- you'll fill the mama role even closer. And you'll have control of the earliest socialization. While conventional wisdom encourages leaving puppies with mothers for 8 weeks, in the past, 4-6 weeks wasn't uncommon for separation. My dear Cocker Spaniel Duchess was 4 weeks when we got her, and she was a splendid girl who was healthy, stable, and lived to 16! He a beauty! :wink2:
 
To answer mcguiregirl2248, the breeder did show us the mother. She was very well behaved and appeared healthy. We did not see the sire however. As for the amount of dogs there, I didn't see any others except for the mother and the puppies. The breeder did say that he had other dogs that he kept in kennels at the back of the house, I believe, and that he rotates them. Apparently, sometimes they live in the house, and then in the kennel, which struck me as odd. I've heard about puppy mills before. In fact, I had an American Eskimo whom I had to put down recently (too soon, she was Fritz's half-sister) that I think may have come from a puppy mill. She had a heart murmer and was very shy. Anyways, when I was searching for a sheltie, I tried to gather all credentials and opinions of the breeder. He seemed like a credible guy through his website (which stated health guarantee on puppies) so I went with him. But after seeing his place, and hearing about the odd kennel situation, not to mention the fact that he released Harvey at only four and half weeks, I am beginning to wonder how decent of a breeder he is. But, in his defense, Harvey is healthy and he has a great personality and tempermant.

And yes, Ania, Fritz was probably having a nice dream of chasing cats. :)

Sorry, I hope I didn't seem like I was being rude. Chris is right, you will have a much tighter bond with your little guy!
 
Back
Top