Help, my 16 month old male sheltie is aggressive

Evangelina

Forums Novice
I need advice on my 16 month old male (neutered at 6 months)of age. He growls, barks at me. Jumps all over the place. We got him at 8 weeks of age, has never been maltreated. Never really been much of a cuddler, sleeps maybe 6-8 hrs a day. He has bitten me twice, broke skin once. My family consists of my husband, 17yr old daughter, 15yr old daughter, 11 yr old son, myself and another male sheltie 17 months old (got him in February). This little guy has been through doggie boot camp, and did well in obedience classes. He was at doggie bootcamp at around 7 month old because he was already out of control (aggressive) & was soon after the first bite. The other male is quite docile, shy, but seems to be the alpha male. They get along well. Sometimes it seems like he's having a tantrum like a little kid. He can also be very silly & cute. Please help
 
Aggressive male sheltie

Where did you get the puppy? I would ask the breeder to help you.

My male sheltie tried to be alpha with me. He was allowed to sleep with me and I stopped that and went through several obedience classes with him. He is now very good and no longer acts up.

I would also ask your vet for their opinion just to make sure there is nothing medical going on.

Today you must be very careful with dogs that bite... Lawsuits are very expensive! Make sure to resolve his issue as soon as you can. Good luck!
 
This is a case where I think you need to hire a positive trainer to come to your house to work with you one on one. In the meantime, try to keep the level of arousal down, use a crate if need be, and work on a solid sit/stay.

Good luck.
 
What kind of training of training methods did you/your trainers use? Any particular collars or regular ones?

Domesticated dogs don't do "alpha" roles in a home environment, this makes me interested in what kind of things you may have been taught by trainers, at "doggie bootcamp" and if they took the pack/dominance theory as their source/method of training.

If the aggression is sudden (when you simply want to pet him) and without cause a vet appointment may be in order as your sheltie may be in pain.

If you can isolate what has caused aggressive outbursts (guarding a toy for example) then you may have an avenue to go down. But yes, I agree with EJHUNTL totally, this situation requires someone to view it and to figure out a plan to help him.
 
This is a hard situation to give advice over the internet. Without seeing how the dog acts, how he interacts with your family and getting a background history we can only offer you very cursory advice. I really encourage you to seek advice from a behaviourist that has experience with shelties and only uses positive methods. If they mention anything about alpha and putting him in his place run a mile. I would also talk to your vet about medicating while you retrain his behaviours.

I don't like doggy bootcamps where you send your dog away for someone else to fix. They tend to use 'one size fits all' approach regardless of the underlying issues and it doesn’t give the owners the tools to manage the behaviour. They can worsen the problem for dogs that have anxiety issues.

Most often, Shelties who exhibit ‘aggression’ tend to have fear and/or anxiety problems. The exceptions would be a dog that has psychological problems – this is rare in shelties and something a vet behaviourist would need to diagnose. The other is if the dog is experiencing pain – such as from dysplasia or arthritis – or has another underlying health issue – such has thyroid problems. Again the vet should probably check him over to rule these out.

You said he growls, barks and jumps around, but he did well at obedience training. To me this sounds like an over excitable adolescent, a little uncertain of how to act. You need to teach him how to be calm and the sort of dog you want him to be. If he did okay at obedience then he can learn to be calm and take direction.

A few suggestions I can give you now.

· Is he crate trained? I really encourage you to crate train him if he isn’t already. He needs a quiet and safe place to go when he is over-excited. Crate time is also calm time and he needs some space away from your other dog too. 2 adolescent males dogs in the house (even tho desexed) will result in competition for attention, they need time apart so they aren’t always on the look out for what the other is doing.
· Over the next couple of weeks be calm around him. No silly play, no running around and getting excited. Talk to him in a calm voice and give clear commands. Give him a chance to learn how to be calm in a calm environment (I know that’s hard with a house full of kids).
· How do you play with him? Looking at the ages of your children I’m wondering if there is a bit of ‘rough housing’. Cut out all the rough play, and no play using your hands. This is a really common problem experienced by men and teenagers who raise a dog. They tend to use their hands to rough them and egg them on. The problem with this is dogs learn that hands are toys, and that’s a sure way to end up with a mistaken bite. Play should not involve hands, use toys instead and whenever he gets excited put a toy in his mouth. Squeaky toys are good for this, so he learns when he gets excited to put a toy in his mouth. Remember Shelties herd by nipping so they can be mouthy.
· Consider time outs when he gets too excited. Don’t make a noise about it, when he’s over excited or being naughty put him in a time out (a crate or another room) until he calms down.
· Stick to a routine with him. Dogs do well with routine, it provides them with certainty and helps lower anxiety levels.
· Get him to work for all his meals – put his kibble in a treat dispenser. Dogs enjoy this and it will allow him to use his mind and learn to focus on working.
· Is he getting walks? He needs stimulation outside the home, let him sniff the neighbourhood (when dogs sniff they are thinking and using their brain). Calm walks will get some of the energy he is exhibiting in the house.

Hope this helps. I suggest you start with talking to your vet though for a check up and ask about meds for a short period to help retrain. Then look for a good positive behaviourist.
 
We got him from a reputable breeder in the Houston area. Breeder has been in business for about 30 years. It seems the first bite was brought on by too much noise/stimulation. I was taking clothes out of the dryer. He didn't like the noise the dryer door made. As far as the doggie bootcamp goes, they use positive reinforcement (treats), a lot of praise and they used a slip chain collar. He was there for 10 days. The problem isn't obedience, he does follow the commands, sit, stay, heel. All on leash. When I walk him, he pulls. If he sees a kid on a bike, scooter, etc he wants to chase after the child. The other male sheltie is much calmer, walks well on a leash. Well mannered. We got him in hopes of calming my other boy. I've even bought diffusers that smell like pheromones and supposed to calm them down. I walk them both, but I'm not always consistent. We have a large yard & they play well; they chase each other til their hearts content. At night they sleep in their separate kennels. At first I thought it was because he was still a puppy, but I'm worried. He seems to mind my husband better than me. I have taken him to the vet, but he's healthy
 
Thank Caro & the pups. This is great, sound advice. He is crate trained I think. ...I put him in there if I'm going to run errands and he and the other male are confined to my kitchen area. Only place that's safe, otherwise he'll try to chew electrical cords. He's in his crate at night. At times there is a little tension at home with 2 teenage girls. My son is very good with the dogs. He's not rough. I do walk them, but I'm not consistent with doing it the same time. I will make an effort to walk them more consistently in the mornings. With summer coming, the temperature his high 90's to 100's in this area. I've had another sheltie in the past. He was 14, and he was so sweet. I hope this little guy turns around.
 
Ah, ok it sounds like he's just highly strung and going through a difficult (and long) adolescence. Must be exhausting for you with a house full of human teenagers as well. Dogs go through adolescence even when they are desexed as their brain changes during this time. Some dogs have a hard time and some don't (and boys often take longer to pass through it). The below suggestions will help with that. There's also a few threads by other people with excitable dogs that could help.

If you find it really difficult to manage do consider medication from the vet. With dogs it's something vets can use temporarily to get their anxiety levels down and allow their brains to re-wire. It doesn't have the same stigma it holds for humans. I know a lot of dogs that have used meds to retrain and the difference has been amazing. Frankly, I'd use them with my highly strung boy except his arthritis meds prevent it.
 
Honest, I'm Not Nuts

I recommend a reputable animal communicator. I use Marta Williams. Marta can ask your boy what's going on. I used her for Beckon (aka Colonel Underpants), and learned so much. Best $75 I ever spent.
 
Thank you Caro & Chris. Will do. I just want to do what's best for my fur babies. I appreciate all of everybody's input. Have scheduled an appointment with a vet/behaviorist in my area.
 
Back
Top