Chris how does she read the dog if she has never seen it in person? Sounds very interesting. Wish I had and extra 75.00 just to see what Zak has to say- but then I may not want to know. LOL Seriously I would love to know what is going on in he brain.
I don't know the "how," just the "what." Marta asked for a neutral photo of each dog and 3-4 questions we wanted to ask. For Bits, for example, I asked "How is your health?" Marta was on speaker phone. We had questions for each dog, including "What can we do to make your life better?"
Marta asked (communcating nonverbally) each dog if he or she was willing to talk. Each was willing, though Beckon whined nervously when she spoke to him.
Marta told us amazing things. She did a body scan on Bitsy and told us she had something going on with her liver. Just the week before, Bits had been diagnosed with a liver enzyme problem. Yes, my jaw dropped. She also said sometimes Bits' head aches and her teeth hurt. We had long figured Bits had sinus issues from her snorting and the fact that on low pressure days, she looked like she had pain. We had told Marta nothing of this, and each photo was a neutral shot.
Annie Laurie told her she was just very happy -- but that we needed to know that the yellow sofa is hers (no, we didn't tell Marta we had a yellow sofa, nor that Annie had laid claim to it years ago), and could we keep a lid on Beckon.
We asked her to ask beckon why he is fearful. Beckon told her doesn't know why he's fearful -- he just is. Nothing happened to him; he just doesn't like other dogs. He prefers to be with his own family. He said he likes Rally as long as he doesn't have to interact with the other dogs. And he likes adventures. But mainly, he thought we thought he was a problem and he didn't want us to think he's a problem. It was true -- we had been saying, "Why is Beckon fear aggressive? What should we do about Beckon?" right in front of him. Oops -- we apologized and have since been telling him we love him just the way he is -- and he's been so much better!!
When she spoke with Layla, she came back on with us, laughing. "Well, isn't
she the princess!" Boy, did she peg Layla! She said Layla informed her that she is a very old soul and very wise, and that she is here to help people. And she needed jewelry. I cracked up. Turns out, she said she needed a certain stone to help her do her work -- and showed it to Marta! Marta said, "What I'm seeing is opaque, blue and there are black or brown spots." I googled that description and got lapis lazuli -- the stone for wisdom and healing. Layla told Marta it didn't need to e fancy and she didn't need it all the time -- just when she's working. So yes, I got Layla a lapis pendent, strung it on a macrame cord, and she wears it to do therapy dog work.
There was much more, but these were the most striking things. We came away from the experience very satisfied. It's improved our relationships with our Shelties considerably -- if something came up, especially behaviorally that I couldn't solve, I would definitely call Marta again.