Hepatic Encephalopathy???

I haven't been on for a while so I am so not up to date on Bacca. I`m sorry he has not been doing well lately. Gosh it`s so tough... Sending hugs and positive energy your way.
Treesa here ♥♡♥♡ luv my dreamy eyes Bacca !
 
HE is often reversible and has fair prognosis of remission. Here is current recommendations that offered for humans
Lactulose
Rifaximin
Zinc repletion
Bromocriptine
Sodium benzoate
l-ornithine l-aspartate
vegetable-based protein diet
BCAA-enriched diet i.e. branched-chain amino acid, also to be avail as supplement

chinese herbs have been helpful with shunts
Rambling Ease Powder (Xiao Yao San; Bupleurum and Dang Gui Powder)

Chai Hu ~ Bupleurum
Dang Gui ~ Angelica sinensis
Bai Shao Yao ~ White Peony
Bo He ~ Mint
Bai Zhu ~ White Atractylodes
Fu Ling ~ Poria
Gan Cao ~ Licourice
finding an additional vet that works well with herbals and alternative medicine might be something to look for since surgery is not an option
 
Nothing to say that others haven't already but wanted to let you know that you and Bacca are in my thoughts.
Joanne
 
Well, a week at the cottage has done good for both Bacca and I

He is eating well and anxious for his food. His coat has grown back

But he can't go down hardwood stairs at all, and many times last week I found him skating on the floor with either his hind legs or front legs not cooperating. And I have to lift him on my bed and carry him downstairs.

But then suddenly, the lawn mover would start and he would be off and running and leaping again...weird. But he can't sustain it for long. But it is good to see he can still do it.

I guess its time to go back to the vet for a new assessment. Poor baby! I know he is on borrowed time, but it could be months or years.

:cry::cry:
 
Poor Becca, hearing this is bringings tears to my eyes.:cry: No dog should be going though all this, especially one so young:no:. Please keep us updated. Praying for many happy years for you and and your boy.:hugs
 
Take heart, our shelties surprise us all the time. Maybe Bacca is just clutzy? Trying for a little humor here.

I have seen our shelties pull through tough times and outlive and outlast the most discouraging diagnosis. Maybe they should go on Survivor?

Hugs, good thoughts,


Kate:hugs
 
Take heart, our shelties surprise us all the time. Maybe Bacca is just clutzy? Trying for a little humor here.

I have seen our shelties pull through tough times and outlive and outlast the most discouraging diagnosis. Maybe they should go on Survivor?

Hugs, good thoughts,


Kate:hugs

Ha! He got himself stuck under the bed this morning. I had to haul him out on his hind feet. I put him upright and he went running for his breakfast. Then he walked into a wall trying to find his way to the back door. :sadsmile:

Yeah, these dogs have great fortitude. :sadsmile:
 
Sorry to hear of your journey with him. But how are YOU doing?

Well, I actually want to cry just about every day. It is so hard trying to figure out what is best for him and what is doable in my own life to help manage his condition. (big personal issues right now)

Right now, its enough that he is eating again and putting on weight, and his coat is growing back. But I know this is temporary. His lack of motor skills is a big concern. Right now, I'm taking it one day at a time.
 
Back
Top