Hepatic Encephalopathy???

Ha! He got himself stuck under the bed this morning. I had to haul him out on his hind feet. I put him upright and he went running for his breakfast.

Sadie somehow gets stuck under the bed too!

I'm not sure how she does it, she's been doing it since she was young (nothing to do with the stroke she had). Just this weekend I woke up and realized she'd wedged whole body under the bed where there isn't enough room for her to get up.

Usually the tips of her feet stick out but this time she was right under there. The only reason I knew was because my foot touched her when I bent down to pet Ginny and touched Sadie's feet through the bed skirt.

Silly shelties!
 
If it wasn't so pathetic, I would have laughed this week watching Bacca scating across the hardwood floors at the cottage. Sometimes he would get his back legs up but not his front legs, and he would slide forward. Sometimes he would be his front legs up and no back legs and he would just collapse going up stairs.

I have to carry him downstairs these days. I'm convinced that he has he muscle tone to do it, but the HE causes a disconnect between his brain and his legs and things just don't work in concert anymore.

And he's only 4.5 years old. I can't imagine what the upcoming years will do to him.
 
If it wasn't so pathetic, I would have laughed this week watching Bacca scating across the hardwood floors at the cottage. Sometimes he would get his back legs up but not his front legs, and he would slide forward. Sometimes he would be his front legs up and no back legs and he would just collapse going up stairs.

I have to carry him downstairs these days. I'm convinced that he has he muscle tone to do it, but the HE causes a disconnect between his brain and his legs and things just don't work in concert anymore.

And he's only 4.5 years old. I can't imagine what the upcoming years will do to him.

Trust me, dwelling on the 'what ifs' of the future can drive you crazy. Just worry about what you can do now. :hugs

Its most definitely time to get some booties on him to give him some traction on those slippery floors before he accidentally hurts himself sliding around.
 
Trust me, dwelling on the 'what ifs' of the future can drive you crazy. Just worry about what you can do now. :hugs

Its most definitely time to get some booties on him to give him some traction on those slippery floors before he accidentally hurts himself sliding around.

I also thought tonight about the water therapy that you did. I don't know if such exists in Ottawa but if I an find it, im sure it would help him
 
I also thought tonight about the water therapy that you did. I don't know if such exists in Ottawa but if I an find it, im sure it would help him

I'd be really surprised if it didn't exist in the Ottawa area. I'm sure if you look around you'll find some facility that offers it. :smile2:
 
I also thought tonight about the water therapy that you did. I don't know if such exists in Ottawa but if I an find it, im sure it would help him

If you are talking about subcutaneous fluids, any veterinary hospital can give them to Baca and also teach you how to do it at home. It is not expensive and will help. Is he taking the lactulose still ? It is very inexpensive at least in the U.S. and is in a liquid form that is easy to give orally. Just think one day at a time...:hugs
 
The water therapy was putting Melissa's dog in water in a tank and having her walk to build up the muscles again after the spinal stroke.
 
I also thought tonight about the water therapy that you did. I don't know if such exists in Ottawa but if I an find it, im sure it would help him

Sorry I misunderstood the therapy you are interested in. I'll be really blunt about this as I feel you would be with me if the situation were reversed. Bacca's liver shunt needs either surgery or management with diet, antibiotics and lactulose to"flush" the ammonia from his intestines BEFORE it goes to his brain. As you know all too well, his clumsiness and walking into things is because of the toxic amounts of ammonia in his brain. The lactulose that I keep talking about should help keep the ammonia from becoming "toxic" and move it through out quickly in the feces. The antibiotic will help to keep the bacteria that cause the ammonia under control and the low protein diet you already know about. (Very simplified lay person breakdown of a complex condition) Dr. Shelli has mentioned that sometimes the damage from this is permanent and could be life ending. This can't wait, please start it now. She also mentioned that he should probably be admitted to the vet. hospital for treatment especially if you are already using this protocol. I really believe that you could give him some quality time if you act quickly. I know he may look ok but this is deceiving -his falling around and walking into things would not be improved by hydro therapy but by an inexpensive combination of diet, antibiotic, and lactulose. Please call your vet and please forgive me for being so blunt but it is because I care that I would even post at all...:hugs
 
Sorry I misunderstood the therapy you are interested in. I'll be really blunt about this as I feel you would be with me if the situation were reversed. Bacca's liver shunt needs either surgery or management with diet, antibiotics and lactulose to"flush" the ammonia from his intestines BEFORE it goes to his brain. As you know all too well, his clumsiness and walking into things is because of the toxic amounts of ammonia in his brain. The lactulose that I keep talking about should help keep the ammonia from becoming "toxic" and move it through out quickly in the feces. The antibiotic will help to keep the bacteria that cause the ammonia under control and the low protein diet you already know about. (Very simplified lay person breakdown of a complex condition) Dr. Shelli has mentioned that sometimes the damage from this is permanent and could be life ending. This can't wait, please start it now. She also mentioned that he should probably be admitted to the vet. hospital for treatment especially if you are already using this protocol. I really believe that you could give him some quality time if you act quickly. I know he may look ok but this is deceiving -his falling around and walking into things would not be improved by hydro therapy but by an inexpensive combination of diet, antibiotic, and lactulose. Please call your vet and please forgive me for being so blunt but it is because I care that I would even post at all...:hugs

We've done the antibiotic routine...6 weeks worth - and the vet and I have discussed that this is likely an ongoing regime. Reduced protein underway. The Lactulose is known to me and I have a call into my vet on this. Believe me, I'm on this.
 
Back
Top