Hepatic Encephalopathy???

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Does anyone have have any experience with dogs with this condition?

Bacca is starting to show early signs of this.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_hepatic_encephalopathy?page=2#.Ud3zaIpzaM8

I've read on other forums about lactulose and ongoing anti-biotic treatments. He just finished 6 weeks of antibitotics and was doing better. But now that he's off the meds, he seems to be slipping back again.

Surgery is just not an option. I don't have the $6,000 that it would cost and without any guarantees...

I'm switching up his diet to lower protein, but so far the transition is not going well. He goes on and off his food like a yo-yo.

Some days he's fine and is normal. Other days, like today, he paces in circles, non-stop. When he lies down, sometimes he can't get up on a hard floor.

Its not good at all. My new and improved vet is on holiday. The sub is stepping up as best as she can.
 
Barb,

I am so very sorry that both you and Bacca are having to through all of this.

Mr. Bacca is on my prayer list for restored health.

From,

Your friend,
Denise (Mally's Mom)
 
Oh Barb! I'm so sorry to hear about Bacca. As if he didn't have enough on his poor little paws.:cry: Please keep us updated on his condition. You and Bacca are on my prayer list as well.:hugs
Tabs
 
Sorry to hear this Barb. Is he taking lactulose ? My understanding is that it is helpful with HE. I believe metronidazole is too, but not sure. Both are inexpensive drugs. Is he just not liking the low protein diet or just doesn't have an appetite ? Getting the diet right is hard so don't get discouraged. :hugs
 
Bacca

Oh Barb we are all so sorry to hear this latest. Please know that you and Bacca are in our prayers, every night, sometimes twice.

Hope your new vet gets back fast.

Give Bacca a great big hug.

Hugs,

Kate
 
HE

Barb, I am so sorry to hear of yours and Bacca's issues. You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a quick solution and a speedy recovery. Hopefully finding the right balance between diet and medication for your sweet little soul will be found when your new vet returns, hoping that is going to be pretty quick . . . sure don't like to see you or these sweet little furbabies suffering. Echoing others, please keep us posted. :fl
 
Sorry to hear this Barb. Is he taking lactulose ? My understanding is that it is helpful with HE. I believe metronidazole is too, but not sure. Both are inexpensive drugs. Is he just not liking the low protein diet or just doesn't have an appetite ? Getting the diet right is hard so don't get discouraged. :hugs

I think I'm dealing with him getting sick and tired of have pills forced down him. I've tried everything from pill pockets to crushing pills and mixing with his food, to separately crushing them and mixing with peanut butter, yguort, etc. He is doing better with food, but won't eat from his regular dish. I have to move it around and give him about 20 minutes behind closed doors. Indy, of course, is going ape!

I read about lactulose and also more antibiotics. I emailed my vet about it yesterday.

I'm not sure how to feed lactulose to a dog......where do it I get it from?

Its now gotten worse. He seems to have no strength in his hind legs, but only slippery floors. Sometimes he just cannot get up on to his hind feet on hardwood...Its like his back legs have gone numb and he cannot leverage himself up. Yet if we start a lawnmower or hair dryer, he bounces like their was never an issue. Weird.
 
My lab jo had HE with her chronic active hepatitis. I was not a vet at the time.

It came and went over the whole 4 yr I managed it. When she had a bad time , I need to take her in and flush the waste products out with IV or SQ fluids(I was taught to do this at home), she was on lactulose and antibiotics(I am pretty sure she was on Neomycin) but most of the time I could keep it under control with the low protein diet(I used K/D because that was the only thing available at the time) as it really is the ammonia waste products that are the problem.

Her signs where head pressing, circling, depression, hind end weakness and anorexia. Her appetite always left when she was starting to get it.

I am sorry Bacca is having such a hard time. But if he is having the signs you are describing you really need to get him in for an exam ASAP. He may need fluid support for a short time and additional medications added. You get Lactulose rx from your vet. You really don't want to delay if this is what is happening if they get too depressed you may not be able to bring him out of it.

Sending thoughts and prayers. :hugs
 
Last edited:
Echoing Justice Mom, Bacca needs to be seen asap. What you are describing is something that I saw in my own Seamus. If you will recall after his bout with hep and subsequent liver issues he lost mobility.

You are in my thoughts.

Hugs,
Kate
 
He has been seen and seen again

This is one of those horrible dilemna's. Surgery that would cost over $5.000 with no guaranteed result. Or try to manage through meds and dietary controls

It sucks because he has two major issues...hypothyroid and liver shunt.

My heart breaks when he can't stand up. He is only 5 years old and it just breaks my heart when his back legs splay out behind him.

Okay, I'm actually bawling my eyes out right now. Sorry, got sign out....
 
Back
Top