House training?

CheetoDorito

Forums Novice
I'm getting my first puppy soon, and I was wondering if you all had any tips or advice about house training pups? What's the best way to do this? In all the books I've searched through, they all have different methods, and I don't know what the best one would be. Is there any way that's been the most effective for you?
 
(I accidently put this post in the wrong board, but I got it in the right one this time. :D)

Alright, so, I have a question: What's the best way to housetrain a pup? All the books I've read through give different tips, but I want to know from those of you have had a few dogs in the past, what the best method to getting a dog house trained.

Also, is a crate a must have?
 
I'm getting my first puppy soon, and I was wondering if you all had any tips or advice about house training pups? What's the best way to do this? In all the books I've searched through, they all have different methods, and I don't know what the best one would be. Is there any way that's been the most effective for you?
I agree with the crate trainng, it is the easiest fastest way. At night- in the crate, during the day- take the pup out many times, he/she will get it soon- when accidents happen, take the pup right out. Paper training just doesn't work, unless you live in a high-rise apartment and have no choice. Good luck!
Karen Curtis
 
Yes, crate training!
And if your pup has an accident in the house, roll up a newspaper and hit YOURSELF in the head with it because it means you didn't take him out soon enough.
:lol:
Seriously though, no fussing about messes, just wipe them up. Yelling or punishing a sheltie pup for peeing or pooing in the house just guarantees that the next time they will make sure you DON"T see them doing it....and hey when you take them for a poop walk you WANT them to pee or poop while you're there....
 
Yes, crate training!
And if your pup has an accident in the house, roll up a newspaper and hit YOURSELF in the head with it because it means you didn't take him out soon enough.
:lol:
Seriously though, no fussing about messes, just wipe them up. Yelling or punishing a sheltie pup for peeing or pooing in the house just guarantees that the next time they will make sure you DON"T see them doing it....and hey when you take them for a poop walk you WANT them to pee or poop while you're there....

Great advise Janet!

I always just praise and praise on the walks when they go. I usually say something like, let's potty, let's potty and that becomes the potty command. Then "yes" and lots of praise when the deed is done.

If they have accidents in the house, I just completely ignore them. They get no attention good or bad. They just watch me clean up the mess.
 
The rule of thumb is the amount of hours a puppy can hold its bladder is equal to its age in months, plus an hour. So an 8 week old puppy will have to go to the bathroom every 2 to 3 hours, a 12 week old pup will have to go every 3 to 4 hours, etc etc.

To avoid accidents in the house, take your new puppy out every 2-3 hours, after extensive play, after he drinks a lot of water and after he eats. And of course praise, praise, praise!

Make sure his crate is big enough, so he can stretch out, stand up and turn around, but not big enough, so he can sleep in one end and pee in the other. You can always buy a big crate that will still fit him when he's full grown, you'll just need a divider, so he doesnt have the whole crate when he's little.
 
We have 3 dogs,one lab and 2 shelties.All were crate trained.Crating for us,and I'm sure many will agree is the way to go.

Plus dogs usually like the security of thier "den".It gives them a place they feel secure.And most dogs will not potty where they sleep.

In the beginning weeks and months,taking the pup outside,even at 2-3 am will help them learn to control themselves,then gradually the time frame gets longer and longer as they learn to hold it.

Thier crate is also a place that they can be safe,if you need to leave the pup to run errands etc~
 
Oh.. we used to get Zoey out every hour (outside the crate) when we had her in the first few weeks. If she didn't do anything, we'd go back every 30 minutes.

As other people said, crate training does wonders.
Zoey's 8 months, now if we don't count the 3 accidents right after she got spayed, we have had no accidents for at least 4 months *touch wood*. It took us less than 3 weeks to effectively housetrain her... and it was during winter, so you got it a bit easier than we did :3

I've seen that you can try to startle the dog if you catch them mid-stream and get them outside immediately, but even if we caught Zoey mid-stream, she'd just finish up what she started regardless :) ... but we'd still bring her outside for good measure.
 
Back
Top