how cold is too cold

Here in Winnipeg the last few mornings with the wind chill it has been -40-45C which when converted is -40F. Your skin can freeze in under 10 mins. so we have been under a wind chill warning for the past 2 days. We all go out, they do their thing and we come right back in. No walking in this weather, they lift their feet after just a couple of minutes. In the afternoon I will leave them out to run around for 10 mins. or so. Hoping for a bit of a warm up by the weekend, cabin fever setting in:gaah
 
Both Tinsel and Rhiannon are not fans of cold weather. Rhi starts to hold her leg up after a couple of minutes and Tin just lays down. The westie doesn't mind it if it means sneaking some bird seed that the birds thoughtfully leave for her. On days like today I just give them time outside to do their thing and then play hide and seek or ball in the house.
 
I agree with everyone. Right now it is in the teens here and wind chill about 0. Shelby loves it, I hate it. DH had off yesterday so he took her for a long walk. Too cold for me tonight so we stayed in and played ball. DH also made a jump and we toss the ball and Shelby jumps over the bar in the basement. That really gets her tired.
 
We are in a deep freeze right now (not as bad as Winnipeg....but nothing gets worse than Winnipeg!).

I know when its times to come in when the dogs start lifting their paws and dancing around.

One thing to keep in mind....when the snow is soft and their paws sink into the snow, it actually insulates them from the deep cold. It really becomes an issue when the snow is hard.

We don't walk alot in the winter, frankly. -20C is just not good walking weather! So the boys get tubby, and so do I! We'll take it off in the spring!
 
anything below 45 is barbaric and you need to feed extra cookies inside


Beau here, "mom doesn't give cookies, but, I do get the end pieces of her bacon":hide
 
Back
Top