How does your dog let you know?

Honey is really bad at telling us she needs to go.. you'd think by year 10 she'd know how to... She always demanded to go outside when we lived with my parents, but never to potty, only to play. To potty she won't tell me til the last moment and she'll cry and cry and cry. Then I let her out and all is well. Sometimes we'll take her out after pottying Ruutu and she'll go even though she didn't indicate she had to...

Ruutu is really good with it. He'll bark and circle by the door to go out. If we're both ignoring him or missing his circles he'll come and pounce on me and bark. Then I'll play the question game and ask him if he needs to potty and he'll run to the door.
 
Unless Promise is really worked up she comes and whines at me, with meaning. Lol .I started her training with a bell but after a week she would ring it just to see if I'd come running !

Be Big,
AMAC
 
Tinsel gets agitated, starts to pace and does that weird whine noise that he makes. Rhiannon just goes to the door and looks out, comes back and looks at me and then goes back to the door. She had bells at the old place but learned that she could go out to play instead of "work" whenever she rang them. Phoebe just goes when I take her out. She has cast iron bladder and bowels so I make sure she gets a break about every 4 hours and before bed. Don't want her to become incontinent in her old age.
 
Edan will stare at us either from the floor on beside us on the couch. If we ignore that for to long he'll start to whine; squeak is a better description of it.

Normally CJ will get on the couch beside you and place a paw on your arm, gently. If that doesn't work, she'll paw at your multiple times, gently, using her pads. If that STILL doesn't work, then she uses her claws and gets a little rough with it. Sometimes she'll just walk right onto your lap and just stand there so you can't do anything else except pay attention to her.
 
It's so rare that they ever have to ask, as I take them out every few hours whether they need it or not. So the only time I see it is when it's really urgent, and they're total opposites. Tiny Bun Bun will FLING herself at the door (the front door, which we never use for peeing--??) crying hysterically. And Byrdie, if you listen very closely, will make a baaaaaarely audible clicking sound in his throat and stare at you. I pray nothing ever happens to us because I doubt anyone else would recognize it as a dog asking to go out . . .
 
Dickens was an inveterate bell-ringer for a long time, but suddenly he's stopped doing it, unless he's totally ignored. Now he comes up and just stands there bolt-upright and stares right through me with a completely expressionless face, until I get up and let him out.

If I ask him if he wants to go out and he doesn't want to, he'll take two or three steps backwards and sit.
 
Shelby used to ring bells but that started getting annoying so we took them down.

Now she whines at the back door when she wants out, or she will stare at us and click her teeth. If we fall asleep on the sofa she will stand on top if us and stare and click her teeth.
 
As others have mentioned on here, I am afraid to use bells . . . my playful ones would probably ring it just for the fun of it!

Mine will go to the door and stand there. Unfortunately, living in a 3 story house, I don't always see them waiting at the door.

We are basically on a scheduled times outside.
 
I'm enjoying this thread. The bell method was one I was thinking of using! Those that used it, did your dogs catch on quickly?
 
Back
Top