How does your dog let you know?

I'm enjoying this thread. The bell method was one I was thinking of using! Those that used it, did your dogs catch on quickly?

I did it ever so briefly, and I think that's probably why 7 years later Bun Bun is still jumping frantically at the front door when she has to go. I can't remember why I had them on that door but I know we did. The dog forgets nothing!
 
My apartment only has one door, but I have an aluminum bi-fold door that "hides" my air conditioner and water heater units. I hang my Angel Bambi's leash on that and if I was on the computer or not paying attention, she would walk over and tap the leash, making the metal clip "dink" on the aluminum and then stand and stare at me. This was a self taught method for attention, as someone else said earlier, our Shelties are so smart.
 
I'm enjoying this thread. The bell method was one I was thinking of using! Those that used it, did your dogs catch on quickly?

It took Dickens about a week. The first times he did it we had to be nearby because he just barely touched it, but once he knew it would get him out he started doing it more vigorously. And every time he thought he was in trouble he'd run to the door and start ringing it in regular desperation!
 
Shelby learned the bells very quickly. Within a few days. We originally used them because she didn't know how to tell us.

Then like everyone else she learned to just ring them all the time just because she wanted to be outside. That became very annoying. It is easier to ignore her whining when I know she doesn't have to go as opposed to ignoring the bells.
 
Bella doesn't say anything or go to the door, I have to watch for signs, Laddie, on the other hand, will give this desperate cry and sort of moves back and forth, he goes immediately when he is let out.
 
The stand between the living room and dining room and stare us down, trying to hypnotize us into doing their will and getting up to let them out.
 
Back
Top