How to ask about a kennel within rules

SheepOfBlue

Premium Member
So long story but here is the basic.

I know we are not supposed to post specific kennels (good policy)..... however :cautious:

I need to have the guys watched for a week and the go to is Mom/Dad who they love but that is a no go because of recent health concerns. My back up is party house #2 aka my brother but his German Shepherd puppy like to step on Sca and Sca will not stick up for himself (Spitfire puts a slap down on him and Buddy will leave him alone) So I am kind of reluctant to send them for a week.

Now I am super paranoid about the guys but there is a ASSA member kennel who also boards and has been a long time Sheltie person (recognize the name from when I got Sca). It is reasonably close and shows up with good reviews. I figure they would all get on fabulous and even if the others wanted to dominate Sca it would be less bothersome to him (he is big but super mellow so everyone thinks they need to hump him, and he won't stand up for himself).

So not real short I guess but is there a way within rules to ask if anyone has knowledge of the kennel?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't know an answer to your question, I'll defer to the Mods for that, you may want to reach out to them and schedule a time to go out and see the boarding kennels and ask them questions about their boarding service. You can also ask if they would be willing to provide references you can contact.
 
I can't say anything about the specific kennel but- I found the meet-and-greet requirement of [pet sitting business] very enlightening about how perspective sitters reacted to Olive's quirks, and to get a better idea of their policies (ex. last person we visited through a short walk once a day was enough plus quick potty breaks... Olive's used to having a .5 acre to run around in when at "camp")
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say anything about the specific kennel but- I found the meet-and-greet requirement of ... very enlightening about how perspective sitters reacted to Olive's quirks, and to get a better idea of their policies (ex. last person we visited through a short walk once a day was enough plus quick potty breaks... Olive's used to having a .5 acre to run around in when at "camp")
Yep in the house with their Shelties or a fenced yard so that is a huge plus. Of course I worry on Spitfire as he does not warm up to just anyone (though he has mellowed some)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The BEST boarding situation we ever discovered was through other dog owners. Sadly that place has closed to the owner's health problems and I haven't found quite the same level of service in other places we've tried. I keep asking people who they use and how they like them, though. Everyone is looking for something different. You have to focus on people who have the same needs/desires in service that you do, not just people who have dogs. I know some people who find the Vet kennel boarding to be great. While I love my vet, my dogs think it is prison. They need something more like dog camp to feel like they aren't being punished.
 
Would it be OK then to post such a name?

What you can do is start a thread saying that you are looking for a kennel or pet sitting arrangement in a particular area but ask people to PM you with the details of the kennel or sitter. Usually the person who will PM you will post that they know of someone who they really liked because their dog stayed there, or whatever the details, and that they will PM you with the details. I know other people have done this before

We just don't want people posting the details of particular kennels (or pet sitting services) because it is directly soliciting business. But if no one is posting the actual details of the business then there's no advertising involved.

Btw - I've edited this thread to remove the reference to a certain multi-million dollar pet sitting business (I'm just checking with the other mods but I'm pretty sure that falls in the same category of kennels).
 
What you can do is start a thread saying that you are looking for a kennel or pet sitting arrangement in a particular area but ask people to PM you with the details of the kennel or sitter. Usually the person who will PM you will post that they know of someone who they really liked because their dog stayed there, or whatever the details, and that they will PM you with the details. I know other people have done this before

We just don't want people posting the details of particular kennels (or pet sitting services) because it is directly soliciting business. But if no one is posting the actual details of the business then there's no advertising involved.

Btw - I've edited this thread to remove the reference to a certain multi-million dollar pet sitting business (I'm just checking with the other mods but I'm pretty sure that falls in the same category of kennels).
LOL yep I agree thus my caution. Problem is no members close to me :-( Though some might know the kennel. It is fine that is why I asked. I have already put out searches using other methods. I was always spoiled as the guys actually liked going to Mom and Dad's (even Spitfire who is big buddies with Mom). And a regular boarder like vet's are out as Spitfire would come back a puddle of worry and Sca would probably be unhappy also. I considered bringing them but the noise and motion is likely not a good idea.
 
It's tough with 2 dogs - I get a lot of people offering to take Tully, but not Deska - poor boy. When I was doing flyball it was easier to find someone to look after them. I've still got someone who will take them in but they're getting older. Maybe you could set up a reciprocol arrangement with someone from flyball, you'll take their dog in when they go on holidays if they take yours? Otherwise it's worth asking around at a club - I know a lot of people involved in dog activities do dog sitting in their own homes (esp if they are older and retired).
 
Back
Top