How to find a mate? :)

wow that is very very sad then. Poor innocent animals. I feel bad for those animals b/c its really not there fault. It's the owners/breeders.:no:
 
I know several people in Dogster Answers who've done that. They ask questions like "my dogs have been in the backyard mating for 7 days now. Is that long enough?":eek2::dead: Makes me sick that they didn't even try to do research first...
 
I know several people in Dogster Answers who've done that. They ask questions like "my dogs have been in the backyard mating for 7 days now. Is that long enough?":eek2::dead: Makes me sick that they didn't even try to do research first...


Now, I mate my dogs in my backyard...with me holding the male and female when their tied. (And holding the female as he's trying to breed)...but it's just the leaving them alone in the backyard!

There are questions like this (and that!) all over the Prodogforums...
 
Now, I mate my dogs in my backyard...with me holding the male and female when their tied. (And holding the female as he's trying to breed)...but it's just the leaving them alone in the backyard!

There are questions like this (and that!) all over the Prodogforums...

I'm not against that supervised breedings in backyards, but from what I could gather the person who asked that question just stuck the dogs in the back-yard and left them alone for several days.
 
I'm not against that supervised breedings in backyards, but from what I could gather the person who asked that question just stuck the dogs in the back-yard and left them alone for several days.


I understand! That's how the woman did it where the male got injured!
 
Narmowen

I want to thank you for your so very thoughtful answer.

Sometimes I fool around on Yahoo Asks to see what's been posted but most times I get so disgusted with some of the questions that I just close the tab and walk away.

Things like: "My dog is so-o-o-o-o cute. I want to have a gazillion puppies. How are puppies born?"

OK - I'm exaggerating a little but I find two categories of BY breeders (I'm not talking about puppy mills here):

- those that think it would be cute
- those that think they can actually make money at it

Neither really have a clue about what they are getting into.

With your permission, I would like to save your answer and smack a few of them with it from time to time.

btw - its a scary website....so many people with animals that just do not have a clue!

And NeNe:

I know it seems like we're beating up on you for asking the question, but its just that many of us have seen so much heartache resulting from insufficient knowledge.
 
Last edited:
someone on my myspace forums asked the same question about possibly wanting to breed her puppy but wasn't sure. So I copied Narm's response with the questions on that forum b/c I thought it was such great advice.
 
My Gio is a result of uneducated people breeding dogs without taking the responsible steps before hand. I have no doubt that they believe that their dogs were the most amazing, cute, adorable, smart, and loving dogs in the world. Don't we all feel that way about our dogs? But they did not take the appropriate steps in ensuring that the pups of these amazing, cute, adorable, smart, and loving dogs would be just as wonderful and healthy as the parents.

As a result, Gio is epileptic, hypothyroid, and has severe structural weaknesses resulting in the onset of arthritis at about 5 years of age. I doubt that these issues were present in the parents, or maybe the owners were so blinded by their dogs' wonderfulness that they didn't see many of the health and structure issues prior to breeding.

I would like to think that I am a conscientious, devoted, and educated dog owner. Unfortunately not all people are those things, regardless of their love for their dogs. Gio has 6 other littermates, and it terrifies me to think of where they are right now. Do they have the same issues as Gio does? Are their symptoms worse? Do they have owners that would take the necessary steps of treatment that I have? Or have they been euthanized or dropped at a shelter when they started exhibiting seizures, became lame, or developed severe hypothyroidism?

All of Gio's health issues could have been prevented had the owners done some research first. If they had shown their dogs in conformation they would have received an unbiased and objective rating of how structurally sound their dogs were. If they had trained and trialed their dogs in a sport of some sort, they would have learned first hand whether their dogs could perform that activity safely due to proper structure. If they had researched the pedigrees extensively they would have noted any indication of epilepsy in the past 5 or more generations. If they would have done the appropriate thyroid and genetic testing they would have known if their dogs were free of thyroid dysfunction.

But they didn't.

And now Gio has to deal with all of that ... and they got to experience the sweet cuddly fluffy puppies that they longed for.

Who got the short end of the stick in that deal?
 
GeeRome

Now that's a story that needs to be told to all those that think it would be a neat thing to do! :(

If only they had a clue what they were doing out there.

I'm so sorry, but also commend you for taking on such a challenge.

Take care
 
Back
Top