If I Get a Sheltie should i show it?

SpecialEdition

Forums Novice
i have never shown a dog but i would love to get a sheltie and try showing it. Only problem is i have no idea how to go about showing a dog. i grew up with a Sheltie as our family pet and my first cousins owned his brother they were both family pets and both very inteligent dogs. If someone could give me some tips as to what to look for in a show puppy and how to get started in showing that would be very helpful.

____________
Alexis Richards
 
That would depend alot on what you want. Do you want a Champion of the breed for personal satisfaction or do you want to dedicate yourself to bettering the breed with learning, campaigning, breeding and being responsible for the dogs and puppies you produce?

I personally think that having a champion show dog would be more than I could afford to invest, as except in UKC, it is difficult in many areas to owner handle the dog to a championship. It can be done, but you will be going against the odds.

Pro handlers are the best way to go in AKC, but that is the opinion of a casual observer and not someone involved in the game.

Unless you are incredibly lucky you won't be sold a top show prospect your first time out there buying, alot will be wanting to watch you "come up" with your first dogs and prove yourself.

If you are open and willing to learn, meet the breeders in your area, join the sheltie club and fnd a mentor.

It can open doors to a future you and your dogs can be proud of. :)
 
i want to deicate myself to better the breed, i want to be my dogs best friend and train them myself. If i breed i would be completely responsible for the puppies, if i am the one who breed the dogs then i am the one who will have to take care of them until they find forever homes or until i completely fall inlove and can't let it go.

i am going to e-mail some breeders around my area and see if they can give me any advice on who to talk to about getting into shows around my area.

i don't expect to have a champion the same as you said it cost a lot to get a handler and i wouldn't have the money for that so it will be me and my dogs trying to "come up" as you said.

i have already found out when and where the local obedience classes are in my area and i am ordering book on everything from puppies-to-training-to- breeding.

thank you for your help i only have one more question, there is a breeder near me and has a 14/15 week old puupy for sale, they were going to keep it to show forthemselves but decided not to. should i think about getting this puppy or should i stear clear of it?
 
I wasn't sure if I wanted to go the show route or not. So I took some seminars: Julie Desi's seminar on evaluating a Sheltie; and George Alston's handling clinic. I also read a great many books and talked with breeders and judges.

My personal decision is that I am an appreciator of the art of the Shetland Sheepdog -- but I am not the artist. I am not gifted to show or breed. But I love to learn, as any true student of any art does. So I have a circle of breeder and show friends who are kind enough to teach me, let me stand beside them as they groom for a show, haul me to kennels to learn to evaluate puppies -- so much to learn!

I will always have Shelties, but mine will be lovely pets who sleep with me, play with me, and take vacations with me. I don't think I'll ever have trouble finding a friend to sell my a glorious pet quality Sheltie! :yes:
 
So I'll be upfront and tell you that you won't get a show Sheltie from a breeder unless they know you well. Most breeders have a lot of inconsistency in their puppies, and so getting the one "good one" means they aren't necessarily going to share. Some breeders have better consistency, but your odds of getting one without having known them for several years is very slim.

I can't tell you how many dogs I have groomed, where the person told me "the breeder was going to keep him, but he got to big", and what I am looking at is a dog that never had a chance. But it makes the buyers feel better when they think the dog "could have" been a show dog. So if someone is willing to sell you a "show dog" sight unseen, be very, very wary.

I would say your best bet is to attend every seminar you can get your hands on, go to lots and lots of shows, and learn the breed. That way when someone offers you a "show puppy" you can make an educated decision as to whether it is or isn't.

Also, you are much better off buying an adult to show, as then you know what you are getting.
 
i have never shown a dog but i would love to get a sheltie and try showing it. Only problem is i have no idea how to go about showing a dog. i grew up with a Sheltie as our family pet and my first cousins owned his brother they were both family pets and both very inteligent dogs. If someone could give me some tips as to what to look for in a show puppy and how to get started in showing that would be very helpful.

____________
Alexis Richards

There is so much involved,and reading what all of the respected breeders,show folks have to say here is something that is spot on. Whether it be conformation,agility,rally...any venue takes knowledge & many years of learning from someone that is willing to take a newbie under thier wings and mentor them.

I recently addred on to our canine family here. A Bi-Black. While he does come from a long line of champions in his linage,I was offered Blake because the breeder was not satisfied with his jaw line. To her it was not to her liking. He originally when first offered for sale,was only to a show home. But as he developed,she was not satisfied with his mouth.

So he came to me at 5 months,as a companion & agility prospect. Which he will in time I'm hoping develope into one heck of an agility dog. Now at going on 10 months,his mouth,jaw line is quite nice,but not as nice as some other dogs that are in conformtion ring. For me,all of ours are pets,they will lways be our companions.
I am not fortunate enough to have a mentor,someone to show me,and someone I can be side by side each day. Oh how I wished. So I do lots of reading,and pick the brains of folks I know here for info.

Getting an adult,as Clantyresheltie suggested I think is one you should look into seriously,that way you have the full deal,and not a puppy.

But as she has said,many quality puppies will not be offered to a lay person. They simply are kept by breeders,as they do have an agenda for a super,duper quality dog. They evaluate puppies at an early age,and know just what they are looking for.
Good luck in your venture. But in the meantime...educate yourself on the breed,read & keep asking questions. Go to shows,and if you are lucky enough you may find someone that will take you under thier wings.
 
You have been given good advice. If you are really interested in becoming more involved in the breed, talk to some of the breeders. You need to find yourself a mentor to help you grow in your knowledge, understanding, etc. of what is involved in showing, breeding etc. Good luck in finding your dream Sheltie.
 
My dream shelties are at my feet. They are oversize, one too long in body and ears to short, the other has a collie head and movement that takes my breath away....

You are a valuable asset to Shelties, you are a fancier and without the fancy the breed would suffer and become extinct.

You will reach your goals, as they are unique to you. I wish you all the success you can imagine and they help you need.

We are all here for each other, to learn and teach and grow and to have our dream shelties at our feet and forever in our hearts.

I saw a finished champion, ready to begin his breeding/specials career ... and a 5 figure price tag that made me :eek2:
 
Showing puppy

i want to deicate myself to better the breed, i want to be my dogs best friend and train them myself. If i breed i would be completely responsible for the puppies, if i am the one who breed the dogs then i am the one who will have to take care of them until they find forever homes or until i completely fall inlove and can't let it go.

i am going to e-mail some breeders around my area and see if they can give me any advice on who to talk to about getting into shows around my area.

i don't expect to have a champion the same as you said it cost a lot to get a handler and i wouldn't have the money for that so it will be me and my dogs trying to "come up" as you said.

i have already found out when and where the local obedience classes are in my area and i am ordering book on everything from puppies-to-training-to- breeding.

thank you for your help i only have one more question, there is a breeder near me and has a 14/15 week old puupy for sale, they were going to keep it to show forthemselves but decided not to. should i think about getting this puppy or should i stear clear of it?

You can always show in performance and other stuff like rally if you want to go that route.
 
My dream shelties are at my feet. They are oversize, one too long in body and ears to short, the other has a collie head and movement that takes my breath away....

You are a valuable asset to Shelties, you are a fancier and without the fancy the breed would suffer and become extinct.

You will reach your goals, as they are unique to you. I wish you all the success you can imagine and they help you need.

We are all here for each other, to learn and teach and grow and to have our dream shelties at our feet and forever in our hearts.

I saw a finished champion, ready to begin his breeding/specials career ... and a 5 figure price tag that made me :eek2:

Well said ... and, depending on how you add it up, that five-figure price tag could have been very close to the actual cost of producing that Champion.
 
Back
Top