Interceptor or Sentinel?

take4roll10

Moderator
So today is the day I give my puppy her k9 advantix and her heartworm pill. She had her first dose last month, which was sentinel. I bought her a new heartworm pill earlier this week. I was just about to give it to her and I noticed they gave me interceptor instead. Unfortunately, my vet is not in on Sundays. Should I wait a day and exchange it tomorrow or should I give her interceptor today? Does it really matter which one she is on?
 
I don't know about the mixing/changing of medicines. Smudge is on Interceptor. Did they not give you a whole box? When I got my heartworm medicine they gave me a whole box.
 
The first sentinel was free. I wanted to buy them individually because she's a puppy and I don't know how long she will stay under 10 pounds. Since the dose is 2-10 pounds.
 
gavin is on sentinel

but from my understanding sentinel is interceptor plus flea control (functions like flea birth control). Sentinel is more expensive than interceptor; I'm going to guess about $10 a pill. So I'd exchange it (although I use k9 advantix as well on occasion when I backpacking to take care of ticks, I like the extra flea control). The exact day of administration isn't important, even though they tell you once a month. Basically, you are giving your dog a monthly small dose of poison to kill heartworms before they get big and reproduce (doesn't prevent them, but kills them young)..

I'm guessing they are giving you pills individually is because you have a growing puppy and his weight is changing so much? I think I started Gavin at 6 months, and we did have to change his packet as he passed the 25lb mark.
 
How old is your puppy?! :eek2: The female vet that works at the clinic I go to says she can't even give the heartworm medicine to dogs under 14 weeks on the Texas side of the city.

They wouldn't sell me a whole box of flea medicine because Smudge was still growing. :rolleyes2: I went online and bought a box of the same brand anyway. Even if he only gets two uses out of the box before he has to go up (because of weight) it was still cheaper than getting it at the office. I can give the "leftovers" to my other family members with dogs. I don't think you can get heartworm medicine OTC though.
 
Interceptor and Sentinel are both good heartworm meds. I would go ahead and give her the interceptor. I have gone from one to the other with my girls with out a problem. As a matter of fact, Rasha needed to be tested for the heartworm this year and her test was negative so changing the meds isn't an issue. If you are more comfortable sticking to one brand, it won't hurt her to not have her dose for a few days until you can get into the vets office and get the other brand.
 
smudge, my puppy is 15 weeks now and took her first heartworm at 10 weeks. I believe Interceptor and sentinel can be given as young as 6 weeks.

I did some research and it seems like interceptor and sentinel are the same heartworm medication. Sentinel has an extra ingredient that kills flea eggs. Since Bailey is already on k9 advantix, I don't see the point of spending double the money for sentinel, when advantix already protects against fleas.

I'm going to go ahead and give her interceptor during her lunch.

thanks guys!
 
Please be careful about ordering,unless it is from a trusted site. There are many horror stories online about flea & tick topical solutions,that are not FDA approved. But are sold just the same.

Five years ago,there were many of these stories about Bio-Spot.This stuff was produced,not FDA approved,many pets died because of the product.

I stay away from ebay listings,and the such.Its just much safer to get it from your vet,or a trusted pet supply. (PetsMart,PetCo,Foster Smith)

Was wondering if anyone is using Revolution? Its been around for some time,and treats not only fleas,ticks,but also ear mites,and is also heartworm med all in one.I read alot of reviews this morning about it,and any I read had very high reviews about it.
 
Please be careful about ordering,unless it is from a trusted site. There are many horror stories online about flea & tick topical solutions,that are not FDA approved. But are sold just the same.

Five years ago,there were many of these stories about Bio-Spot.This stuff was produced,not FDA approved,many pets died because of the product.

I stay away from ebay listings,and the such.Its just much safer to get it from your vet,or a trusted pet supply. (PetsMart,PetCo,Foster Smith)

Was wondering if anyone is using Revolution? Its been around for some time,and treats not only fleas,ticks,but also ear mites,and is also heartworm med all in one.I read alot of reviews this morning about it,and any I read had very high reviews about it.

I got mine from Amazon. It's Advantage, just the same that they sell at the Vet's office. Is Revolution the flea pill? They have a flea pill at my vet's office, but I don't know about it since I've never tried it.


Maybe there's a certain reason they can't sell the heartworm medicine to puppies younger than 14 weeks here. With all the crazy laws...who knows. :smile2:
 
Back
Top