Interceptor or Sentinel?

Honestly it would probably not be a necessary precaution to alternate those meds in my opinion. I'm always wary of frontline though just because I myself have had some bad experiences. The way fipronil (active ingredient) works is by overstimulating the flea's nervous system which eventually causes death. I just prefer imidacloprid that Advantage uses because its a gentler medication. Fipronil is a really nice medication though for a high risk flea and tick area because it's so effective plus it has residual activity even if your dog gets bathed.

Interceptor is such a nice medication that unless you're an at risk patient for having microfilaria by missing a few months of heartworm treatment (which you should be retested anyways) the percentage of side effects from milbemycin (interceptor's active ingredient) is very very low. That's why it is used so much in collie breeds because so many other medications are contraindicted for their hypersensitivity.

Being closer to a collie than my dog though if you feel more comfortable alternating them every 2 weeks than definately more power to you. I always live by if it ain't broke don't fix it :yes:

Wow I hope I didn't hijack this thread with my long windedness.
 
So I am in a high risk area due to our 3 days of winter :winkgrin: but Sca stays out of the areas that would be the worst (fields). I am still waffling. It seems Sentinel would be a decent in the off chance he picks up a flea or two they don't start building condos and the couple he got would die with time. Still unsure though and I have a whole month to waffle since he just had his sample of Interceptor :o
 
Sentinel can be a great option Sca. If you're in an area with a lot of fleas you can always supplement his interceptor with a topical medication like frontline, or advantage instead of purchasing sentinel, but buying two meds like that can get pricey. If you're comfortable with it you can look into Advantage Multi that's a product similar to frontline in the way it deals with fleas, but also contains a heartworm medication as well.

If you go with Sentinel and you run into a stint of bad fleas or see a couple of live fleas on him (which can be normal before they bite even with frontline or advantage) an option for you can be to give him a capstar to kill all the live ones immediately while the sentinel runs its course in sterilization. A capstar will last 24 hours and kill 98% of fleas within 30 minutes.

Just something to chew over while you're deciding. :wink2:
 
Sentinel can be a great option Sca. If you're in an area with a lot of fleas you can always supplement his interceptor with a topical medication like frontline, or advantage instead of purchasing sentinel, but buying two meds like that can get pricey. If you're comfortable with it you can look into Advantage Multi that's a product similar to frontline in the way it deals with fleas, but also contains a heartworm medication as well.

If you go with Sentinel and you run into a stint of bad fleas or see a couple of live fleas on him (which can be normal before they bite even with frontline or advantage) an option for you can be to give him a capstar to kill all the live ones immediately while the sentinel runs its course in sterilization. A capstar will last 24 hours and kill 98% of fleas within 30 minutes.

Just something to chew over while you're deciding. :wink2:
Thanks the capstar sounds interesting. Like I said Dow never had a flea but then he was likely toxic :eek2:
 
Interceptor and Sentinel are indeed the same medication. Interceptor is Milbemycin (heartworm med) and Sentinel is Milbemycin + Lufenuron (The Lufenuron is a flea medication it makes them sterile) The Milbemycin is normally what will be reached for first with ANY collie-like breed because it is not a class of ivermectin. Which is proven to be a very harsh drug for collies.

.

Here is a quote from from the WSU website on MDR1


Selamectin, milbemycin, and moxidectin (antaparasitic agents). Similar to ivermectin, these drugs are safe in dogs with the mutation if used for heartworm prevention at the manufacturer's recommended dose. Higher doses (generally 10-20 times higher than the heartworm prevention dose) have been documented to cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.
Just remember that interceptor is not always totally safe in dogs with MDR1 mutations. You must watch for any reactions with these drugs as well. Ivermectin is also considered safe at the 6ug/kg dose in heartgard but at higher doses 300-600ug/kg is when the problems occur.

Please watch your dogs with any new medication you give them. Report any side effects to your vet immediately.

I use frontline on my dogs from april to oct-nov for ticks and fleas. Justice had a bad reaction to Advantix. It caused a skin reaction and he almost scratched his back off.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all of the information!

We live in a Lyme Epidemic area, so I was told that Frontline Plus is my best option for ticks.

I guess....since I alternate meds, and it works for us, I will continue to do that.

I appreciate all your input Moonshine. Awesome :biggrin2:
 
Here is a quote from from the WSU website on MDR1


Selamectin, milbemycin, and moxidectin (antaparasitic agents). Similar to ivermectin, these drugs are safe in dogs with the mutation if used for heartworm prevention at the manufacturer's recommended dose. Higher doses (generally 10-20 times higher than the heartworm prevention dose) have been documented to cause neurological toxicity in dogs with the MDR1 mutation.
Just remember that interceptor is not always totally safe in dogs with MDR1 mutations. You must watch for any reactions with these drugs as well. Ivermectin is also considered safe at the 6ug/kg dose in heartgard but at higher doses 300-600ug/kg is when the problems occur. The ratio is less 5 to 10 times which is why it is considered a risker drug.

Please watch your dogs with any new medication you give them. Report any side effects to your vet immediately.

I use frontline on my dogs from april to oct-nov for ticks and fleas. Justice had a bad reaction to Advantix. It caused a skin reaction and he almost scratched his back off.

I read that also Shelli,thank you for putting it here.
 
Back
Top