Introducing a very Shy Puppy into A New Home?

suristo

Forums Enthusiast
I just brought Monet home, and he is very shy. He is in dire need of socialization, and I would love to start teaching him obedience commands. Walking on a leash would be one of the most important... He doesn't move at all! He just stands there, looking at you like you are crazy. I just brought him home today, and he's already gotten better about accepting me - when I first met him, he hardly wanted me to touch him. But now he's sleeping on my feet.

He won't eat, he won't drink, I was told this is all normal considering the stress of moving to a new home. I just wonder how I will start introducing him to everything and socializing him if I can't find what motivates him? He sniffs the toys, but ignores them otherwise.

Is this a wait and see situation? I've always had very outgoing dogs, mostly exuberant. I'm not sure what to do to help him out of his shell. At his breeders, he was very playful, and so I know it's in there somewhere! He did play in the snow a little bit when I took him outside. He doesn't bark, doesn't whine, and he just watches everything that goes on when he's not napping.

If he doesn't drink... when do I have to start worrying about dehydration? I don't want anything to happen to my new little one. I'm just excited to finally have a Sheltie in my life again!
 
I would say that Monet just needs a little time - Cranberry is my only dog that didn't need any kind of adjustment time.
Callie came from a sheltie rescue and needed a few days before she would eat- I confess I don't remember how much she drank back then.
Dixie was a little better- she just needed adjustment time outside the house but she also came to live with 2 other shelties- one who was her brother so she had lots of support and guidance along the way :yes:
 
I would say to give him a little time before you start any official training. Let him get to know you and the house. Let him understand that you care for him and he can feel safe.

He will gain confidence--hard to say how quickly.

Once you are ready, I think the best way to teach a dog to walk on a leash is to start by just putting a really light leash on him and letting him drag it around the house. Let him get comfortable with it on, so he knows nothing bad happens.
 
Thanks so much! I will have to give him time, and find a light leash.

We actually made some head way!! I did not expect it this quickly. He ate a little of his old puppy food and some canned food made by Wellness, about a 1/2 tablespoon. I took him out a few times to see if he wanted to go potty, and the second time he would actually come trotting to me if I picked up my energy and asked him to come and said "puppy puppy puppy!" while running backward. When I brought him back in, then let him explore his surroundings, and he started following me around. He took a few small pieces of chicken, and then it was like a light bulb went off. I took him up to my room and he went running around it, sniffing everything. He kept coming back to me, whether I was sitting in the floor, on my bed, or on the chest that sits under the window. He even grabbed onto the plush squeaky toy I bought him a few times.

Then, when mom came in, he trotted around a bit more, then came and laid within a foot of me and watched her. It's amazing, he will now lay next to me willingly instead of trying to get away - which is what he tried to do when I went and saw him. But, there was something about him I loved, which is why I couldn't leave him.

I finally got him to pee outside, and we took a short spin on the leash. For the most part, I let him have his head and walk around on a loose leash, and we explored the snowy yard. He had a bit of a fit coming back into the house, but I already see a big improvement. He's now laying next to me again with his head on my leg.

He's already run away with my heart. :D
 
How old is he? Tully came to me very timid, I think part of the problem was she was too immature, my other dog I had gotten at 10 weeks and that extra 2 weeks really made a difference to his confidence.

Play will give him more confidence, as will any activity that get his adrenalin going. You could teach him to play ball - that definately made a big difference to Tully's confidence and it still amazes me how much more confident Tully is when she chases things. Also think about feeding him his kibble with a treat bottle - being a working breed having to think about it and solve things will also give him more confidence.
 
Last edited:
Thanks :) He is 9 months old. Last night he was so adorable - he was in my room, and at one point he started dragging his toys, one by one, into his cage. He's now sitting playing with his giraffe toy at my feet.

I've already seen a marked improvement on the leash, by going outside and playing. He also actually came to me off-leash a few minutes ago when I called! (In the house of course).

He does seem to run around the house, looking for something.
 
It sounds like you're off to a great start! Caro, what is a treat bottle for feeding? My sheltie never, ever had a problem eating until she developed kidney disease prior to her passing, but even then when we changed her to canned food, she relished meal time. Guess I have a lot to catch up on!
 
Thanks :) I think so too! We went for a 15 minute walk this morning, he was very happy to do so. First thing this morning, he did poop a small amount normally. I think I will try some canned pumpkin if I can find any. He's still not eating his old food, just the little bit of canned dog food, the change is probably what caused the diarrhea? He's not interested in the solid food at all. I finally got him to take a few tiny pieces of chicken for a treat, and he's now my new best friend, haha. He gets very hopeful every time I go to the fridge. I know he's hungry, which is what kills me. Am I going to have to start cooking all of his meals? I know it would be healthy (I can't bring myself to do a BARF diet...), and I probably should eat more of what I would be cooking him. But, do I need to cut out the canned food and hope he will decide to eat his dry? I planned on the long term to give him a 1/2 c of dry food and a 1/2 tbsp of canned. Right now he just picks out the canned food and drops all the dry.

It's so snowy around the house, I really want a flat place to take him to walk, like the outdoor track at the high school around here. I don't want to overload him, but it's pretty quiet and only has a few runners/joggers/walkers at a time. I think it might be ok, what do you all think?

I enrolled him in the beginner class at Petsmart with the trainer who helped me. I know how to teach the basic obedience commands, and he's starting to get better, but I love having the controlled atmosphere to get him accustomed to those situations. It starts next Tuesday, I hope it's not too soon.
 
Back
Top