Introducing Mira!

inugumi

Forums Novice
Hello everyone! I just picked up my baby a few days ago and wanted to introduce her to all of you, as I am sure we will be back with lots of questions.

She's a lovely girl, very intelligent and very observant; you can just see it in her eyes!
Of course.... this is my first puppy, and my first sheltie, so I've been noticing a lot of things that I'm not sure how to handle yet given that this a first time for us both!

Like barking, for example. I knew shelties were yappy, which I'm normally fine with, but she barks at EVERYTHING spooky! If anyone or anything creaks outside of our door, that's it! Yap, yap, yap! Reflection in the window? Yap, yap, yap! Dishes clanking in the kitchen? Yap!

How can I redirect her attention from the 'spooky' noises? She's in the process of learning 'watch me' but of course, her mind goes into overdrive once she's been spooked and she no longer wants treats at that point! She has almost no interest in toys either (I suspect this will change once she really starts teething). Should I just try and redirect her focus anyways and treat her whenever she looks away or is quiet? Is this the right direction?

And here's some pictures of the new sheltie joining the forums! Including her very first little bath, hehe, which she took like a champ despite all the new and overwhelming things!

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s391/inugumi/photo662196228497450952.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s391/inugumi/photo655062901999118492.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s391/inugumi/photo435588011589216447.jpg
 
What a pretty girl! Congratulations :smile2:. I think shelties are a bit too smart for the treating when quiet method. I tried this with one of mine when she was young, and soon found that she was deliberately barking because she knew that when she stopped she would get a treat! Give her some time, she's still settling in and getting to know the noises in her new environment. With my barker and all I can do is manage it with exercise, stimulation, redirection and minimising the triggers; eg leaving music on in the house when I'm out. I feel like we definitely have the barking under control ....hopefully my neighbours don't disagree :wink2:.
 
Cute puppy! Mine all know a "shhhh" or "quiet" command. Given time and maturity I am sure you will get a handle on it. Remember, shelties don't "yap" ... they "communicate". They are little tattle tales delivering messages about things in their environment.
 
"Remember, shelties don't "yap" ... they "communicate". They are little tattle tales delivering messages about things in their environment"

Well said, just everyone would remember this:yes:.

I must often say this to myself when I found Minnie is a little barking, but that's the way a Sheltie is.:hugs
 
Chip never barked, until we got Laddie. lol
We have been working with Laddie on the barking. We place our finger on our lips and say, "Shhhhhh". He is so intent on the little whistle we utter I think he some times becomes more interested in it than barking.
 
Back
Top