Is it okay to???

Megansmom

Forums Sage
I have read that dogs are supposed to only eat dry kibble for various reasons. And that no matter what brand of canned it's basically junk food for them. My Megan is 16 1/2 wks old and still will only eat dry moistened with warm water and canned, is this okay?
 
Well now not all canned is junk. It just depends on what you are feeding. We feed Merricks here, proir to that it was Halo. And Earnhardt is 5 (not sheltie) unfortunately with him it was pure habit to have that little bit of canned mixed with his dry. Mainly because he was lazy,and (2) He was put on a diet this past August.

Well we put the halts to the every day,every meal additive of canned with him. It took a meal or two for him to decide that he was hungry enough to eat with out canned food,even though we had been little by little taking away,he still noticed it.

Neither of the two here get canned for every meal.They both only get enough to mix the Vibrant pets into the dry food.And it amounts to a tablespoon.The rest of the meals served thru the day,are only dry.

But your babe is much younger,and I personally do not see anything wrong, if that is what she is eating, and so long as you are monitering the amount of canned food,and also the amount of dry. And also the amounts of treats etc..that she gets thru the day. If you see her getting a bit pudgy,you may have to recalculate.Activity levels also need looking at.

Then gradually take away the canned,if you feel as though it may not be up to par as far as being comparable to something else.

There are also other things you can add,besides canned food. I read some time ago,in a thread,the use of pure tomato puree,or tomato sauce.If I'm not badly mistaken. Theres also green beans(frozen),yogurt,a bit of canned pumpkin.

And in the meantime,if canned is something,that you would like to add once in a while, there are so many out there to choose from. We personally like Merricks (thank you to Barb) the food is definately right up there as far a nutrishional values,they ship free if you need to order.But it is readily available to me here,to walk in a pet store to purchase.

Dry food diet has it's benefits.The teeth stay cleaner.There is less residue of food left in the mouth,after they eat. Canned food has a way of tucking itself in between teeth,and can cause teeth issues later.Plus the added calories.

I'm sure there are lots of great ideas from folks here,that can also help you. When it comes to food,everyone has great ideas & thoughts.
 
I don't see any issue adding a tbsp of wet food to kibble....I actually prefer that than moistening with water or broth. The wet food still keeps the kibble crunchy.

Yes, I use Merricks, and the boys love it.

If you add other like tomato sauce, make sure its sodium free. And of course, many on the forum, love adding pumpkin. I've never tried it, but it certainly can't hurt!
 
I don't see any issue adding a tbsp of wet food to kibble....I actually prefer that than moistening with water or broth. The wet food still keeps the kibble crunchy.

Yes, I use Merricks, and the boys love it.

If you add other like tomato sauce, make sure its sodium free. And of course, many on the forum, love adding pumpkin. I've never tried it, but it certainly can't hurt!


If I told you what canned food I feed her you would probably gasp, ha ha! She loves it though and only gets maybe a tsp per meal. I do put hot water on her food, drain the water out then add the tsp of, GASP, Purina Pro Plan puppy, :razz:. She seems to love it that way..
 
Well now not all canned is junk. It just depends on what you are feeding. We feed Merricks here, proir to that it was Halo. And Earnhardt is 5 (not sheltie) unfortunately with him it was pure habit to have that little bit of canned mixed with his dry. Mainly because he was lazy,and (2) He was put on a diet this past August.

Well we put the halts to the every day,every meal additive of canned with him. It took a meal or two for him to decide that he was hungry enough to eat with out canned food,even though we had been little by little taking away,he still noticed it.

Neither of the two here get canned for every meal.They both only get enough to mix the Vibrant pets into the dry food.And it amounts to a tablespoon.The rest of the meals served thru the day,are only dry.

But your babe is much younger,and I personally do not see anything wrong, if that is what she is eating, and so long as you are monitering the amount of canned food,and also the amount of dry. And also the amounts of treats etc..that she gets thru the day. If you see her getting a bit pudgy,you may have to recalculate.Activity levels also need looking at.

Then gradually take away the canned,if you feel as though it may not be up to par as far as being comparable to something else.

There are also other things you can add,besides canned food. I read some time ago,in a thread,the use of pure tomato puree,or tomato sauce.If I'm not badly mistaken. Theres also green beans(frozen),yogurt,a bit of canned pumpkin.

And in the meantime,if canned is something,that you would like to add once in a while, there are so many out there to choose from. We personally like Merricks (thank you to Barb) the food is definately right up there as far a nutrishional values,they ship free if you need to order.But it is readily available to me here,to walk in a pet store to purchase.

Dry food diet has it's benefits.The teeth stay cleaner.There is less residue of food left in the mouth,after they eat. Canned food has a way of tucking itself in between teeth,and can cause teeth issues later.Plus the added calories.

I'm sure there are lots of great ideas from folks here,that can also help you. When it comes to food,everyone has great ideas & thoughts.



You are absolutely right, I have been loving this message board and all the wonderful suggestions I have been getting. My husband is the one who really wants Megan to only be on dry food :eek2:, but I have "Lovingly" convinced him I am right and he is wrong..:winkgrin:
 
You are absolutely right, I have been loving this message board and all the wonderful suggestions I have been getting. My husband is the one who really wants Megan to only be on dry food :eek2:, but I have "Lovingly" convinced him I am right and he is wrong..:winkgrin:

Your welcome!!

I would be lost without all the great advice here,plus not to mention,the warm,kind ,caring folks that they are. I've met some special folks here,both in person,and in emails.
 
If I told you what canned food I feed her you would probably gasp, ha ha! She loves it though and only gets maybe a tsp per meal. I do put hot water on her food, drain the water out then add the tsp of, GASP, Purina Pro Plan puppy, :razz:. She seems to love it that way..

For the price of a can of 100% pumpkin, (not pumpkin pie filling) give it a try. I will tell ya, my two love it!! I don't do it every day.I actually freeze it in ice cube tray,and let it soften,mix in.Especailly if you don't feel ike feeding it every day.

Plus its good for the poop issues..theres that word again!
 
Merrick's is a good food. In fact when I opened my first can.... Grammy's Pot Pie, I thought it smelt good enough for me to enjoy too! :winkgrin:
 
Merrick's is a good food. In fact when I opened my first can.... Grammy's Pot Pie, I thought it smelt good enough for me to enjoy too! :winkgrin:

My thoughts exactly. Brian just happened tocome thru the kitchen the other afternoon,and I had just opened a can,but he did'nt know it. And he said,what smells so good? I said "supper baby"!:winkgrin:
 
Merrick's is a good food. In fact when I opened my first can.... Grammy's Pot Pie, I thought it smelt good enough for me to enjoy too! :winkgrin:


That stuff DOES smell good :lol: I think it is the wing a lings, or something like that, which bugged me out. Isn't that the stuff with whole chicken wings in it :confused2:
 
Back
Top