Is it too late for a name change?

Lysette85

Forums Enthusiast
I know my dog wouldn't have an issue with it..his new name would still start with the "Cuh" sound and would be easy to adapt to for him, but in general would it seem kinda silly to change Claussen's name this late? I had wanted to name him "Cailean" (pronounced K-lin) which is gaelic for young pup/whelp, but my (now ex) bf said it was too human. I agreed to disagree but left his name with with the breeder chose (Claussen). What do you guys think? Have you ever changed a dog's name after you've had it for a year? Sounds silly, I know.
 
How old is Claussen? Liam was named Slick when I got him at 10 months. Try out a new name and see what happens. He may like it better, who knows.
 
He's a year old. I didn't just get him though...I've had him since he was 10 months old. Just wondering if ppl are gonna think I'm crazy if I change his name after all this time.
 
Quite often adopters change the name of the dog no matter what the age.

And with 2 of mine, no one KNEW their names because they were strays wandering the streets.

They both knew their new names in no time at all.
 
Not silly at all! A dog's name should fit the dog and you need to like it. We've changed names as late as two years old and they learn the new one in less than 3 days.
 
Not silly at all! A dog's name should fit the dog and you need to like it. We've changed names as late as two years old and they learn the new one in less than 3 days.

I'm not concerned at all with my dog's point of view-I say "Cailean" and he comes right over, just because it sounds so much like Claussen. But have you changed a dogs name after you've already owned them for a year or more?
 
I'm not concerned at all with my dog's point of view-I say "Cailean" and he comes right over, just because it sounds so much like Claussen. But have you changed a dogs name after you've already owned them for a year or more?

No, I haven't. I've always changed them when they came to me. But I don't think that would make a difference. Just start calling him by the new name. It will probably take you longer to get used to it, LOL! :lol:
 
I have not changed a dog's name after so long either, but like Ann, I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and change it. I don't think it's silly at all. It's your dog, and you should call him what you like. Especially if the old name was the choice of somebody whom you may not want to think about every time you call your dog.

If anybody asks why you changed it, and you are feeling generous enough to explain (because really, you don't owe anybody an explanation, of course), you can just tell them this is what you always wanted to name him, but compromised for someone who isn't in the picture anymore.

Or, you can say "I just felt like it," or "he grew out of the old name," and leave it at that. :biggrin2:
 
I have not changed a dog's name after so long either, but like Ann, I don't see why you shouldn't go ahead and change it. I don't think it's silly at all. It's your dog, and you should call him what you like. Especially if the old name was the choice of somebody whom you may not want to think about every time you call your dog.

If anybody asks why you changed it, and you are feeling generous enough to explain (because really, you don't owe anybody an explanation, of course), you can just tell them this is what you always wanted to name him, but compromised for someone who isn't in the picture anymore.

Or, you can say "I just felt like it," or "he grew out of the old name," and leave it at that. :biggrin2:

Thank you, that makes me feel better about it now lol!
 
Come to think of it, my son changed his Border Collie's name a year after he got him. His ex-fiance had named the dog the most God-awful name and son always hated it. The dog had no problem with the change, which was a completely different name in every respect.

Go for it! :yes:
 
Back
Top