Is your sheltie a lap dog?

LoveDogs

Forums Enthusiast
My Dylan is not a lap dog. He loves to be with us but never on us. If I touch him too much while he is sleeping next to me on the couch, he gets up and either jumps to the other couch or jumps down to the floor away from me. He loves to be petted by anybody (including strangers at the door), but never likes to be picked up or carried around.
How are yours?
 
Bits is a big girl and though she loves petting, she'd much rather play ball. She does NOT appreciate being hoisted above ground.

Annie Laurie, the little sausage, is another story. She doesn't mind being picked up, but it's like trying to carry around a duffle bag full of Jello! :lol: Rather than sit in your lap, she'd rather snuggle next to your arm...or leg,,,or body...or head...:wink2:

Layla is my lap girl. At about 19 pounds, she's slight and delicate. I often pick her up, especially at Walter Reed, where I lift her to see patients. I can even sling her around my shoulders -- her famous perch in the physical therapy room! At bedtime, she looks up with her big brown eyes and pleads, "Carry me upstairs, Mommy." :rolleyes2:
 
Zoe is a lap dog for sure. She will lay on your lap, your arm anything. She is only 12 - 13 lbs. so it's not a big deal. She loves to be picked up as well.

Marlie is not a lap dog but she will lay next to you all night. Sometimes she gets a little moody and will go off and lay by herself. Depends on the day! She weighs around 22 lbs. and we pick her up often as well.

Rasha doesn't know what she is! She wants to be with you but then she doesn't. She will lay with you for a while and then go off to the bedroom. She is my largest girl, height and weight, and rarely gets picked up. She doesn't like it much and it makes her uncomfortable.

I think it just depends on the dog and I think some of it has to do with how they were handled as pups. Marlie and Zoe both came from homes that pampered them but had to give them up in the end. They both had lots of toys and beds and crap so I know they were spoiled right from the get go. Rasha came from a breeder and I don't think she was pampered much. I think that is why she is so uncomfortable with being picked up.
 
Crazy is a BIG lap dog, and doesn't mind if you pick him up either. (I think he is trying to make up for all the time no one touched him.) You can't sit on the sofa without having a fur buddy
 
Snap is not a cuddler, but he will "tolerate" being in my lap and is actually beginning to relax in my lap. However, he's an extended cab version of a sheltie, so he's not exactly a perfect fit !
 
Chinook is not a cuddler either. He loves to kiss you and all strangers but he does not like to be held. He is a social butterfly, but does not like to be picked up. He will move away from me if on the couch and I am petting him. In the morning however, he LOVES to have his belly rubbed. He will roll around and moan while I scratch his sides and belly.

Maia, so far, she likes to be held and will actually fall asleep right beside me. I've only had her for a couple of days, so we will see how she grows up. It would be nice to have one of them like to snuggle with me on the couch. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
 
mine all like to sit next to me but not on me. like your Dylan if I pet them too much while they are next to me they will leave!
 
Sadie is not a lap dog. I wish she was because I miss having lap cats, but what can you do.

She definitely does not like being in your lap, will not go there on her own and will not stay if put there. She likes to be on the couch with you and will some times snuggle up to your leg but if you move to much she'll go sleep somewhere else. She likes a quick cuddle when I first get home but doesn't stay.

Sadie does not seem to like being held, the look on her face says that she's tolerating it and she'll start to squirm after a minute or two. Yet when you pick her up she does a little jump to make it easier to lift her. Perhaps she's a closet lap dog :lol:

Maybe our next dog will be a lap dog
 
Smoke is a lap dog when he is in the right mood for it. He doesn't jump up onto furniture on his own, though, he has to be lifted. His signal for snuggle time is to come up to the couch and put his front legs up there and wait for me to lift his bottom. Its pretty cute :wink2:
 
Bacca is, when the mood strikes him...usually when I'm NOT in the mood!

At over 22 pounds now and solid as a brick wall....he thinks nothing of walking all over me (nothing like the full weight sitting on your stomach, staring into your eyes - right after a full meal! Ooooof! Get off, you big oaf! )

He does not like to be picked up and carried and prefers to jump up on the bed or couch on his own. Though sometimes he'll go to make the big leap and mis-calculate his approach and fall flat. Then he becomes very pathetic....puts two paws on the couch, stares at me and whines. Pick me up, Mom! :rolleyes2:
 
Back
Top