Ivermectin?

tgolike

Forums Regular
Hi all. I have been giving Summer ivermectin myself for about a year now, and she is doing great. We will be buying her a new bottle tomorrow. I give the 1% Sterile solution. I give 1/10 cc per 10 lbs of body weight.

Alex is 1/2 sheltie, 1/2 beagle. Should it be safe to give this to her? Is there any way to know? At her weight she would only take 0.5 cc right now.

Thanks,



Tammy

Disclaimer from Sheltie Nation: The dosage listed above is not the correct dose of ivermectin for a dog. If used in this amount you will overdose your dog and have the potential to do serious life threatening harm.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Your latest thread on ivermectin

I would wait to give this to the puppy yet until one of our vets comment. Or call and run this by your vet. Also, be sure and mention the puppy's age.
 
Last edited:
Hi all. I have been giving Summer ivermectin myself for about a year now, and she is doing great. We will be buying her a new bottle tomorrow. I give the 1% Sterile solution. I give 1/10 cc per 10 lbs of body weight.

Alex is 1/2 sheltie, 1/2 beagle. Should it be safe to give this to her? Is there any way to know? At her weight she would only take 0.5 cc right now.

Thanks,



Tammy

You do dilute the ivermectin right? I was told to dilute the solution with proplyne glycol not straight ivermectin.(49.5 cc's P.G to .5 cc's ivermectin) I was also told not to give to puppies under 6 months
 
I wouldn't give her straight ivermectin.

White feet, don't treat!!!!

As long as you dilute the solution properly it is fine to use. You are actually giving the proper dose for the weight. Unlike when you give pills from the vet, the dosage is set to treat the highest weight. Say you have a 5 pound dog, they are actually getting the amount of medicine needed for a 25 pound dog since it treats dogs up to 25 pounds.
 
As long as you dilute the solution properly it is fine to use. You are actually giving the proper dose for the weight. Unlike when you give pills from the vet, the dosage is set to treat the highest weight. Say you have a 5 pound dog, they are actually getting the amount of medicine needed for a 25 pound dog since it treats dogs up to 25 pounds.

And how do you know that they are not MDR1 dogs?

I am confused? Especially because these pups did not come from a breeder so I doubt they were ever tested.

I really do not think that it is safe at all to tell someone that ivermectin is fine to use for a herding breed.
 
Last edited:
Here are a few articles about the MDR1 mutation in herding breeds. Overall, this is your choice, but personally I would never make the choice to give ivermectin without being under the guidance of a vet. Actually, my vet still follows what he learned in vet school "white feet, don't treat" so there is no way he would ever say yes to this.

Not a chance worth taking.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/announcements/ivermectin/

http://www.illinoissheltierescue.com/seizures.html

http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/toxicity/c_dg_ivermectin_toxicity
 
As long as you dilute the solution properly it is fine to use. You are actually giving the proper dose for the weight. Unlike when you give pills from the vet, the dosage is set to treat the highest weight. Say you have a 5 pound dog, they are actually getting the amount of medicine needed for a 25 pound dog since it treats dogs up to 25 pounds.

Oh, I agree totally. If I were going to use medicine like this, this is the way I'd go. That way you don't get all the other unnecessary additives. Not to mention it's a ton cheaper. Most people around here, b/c it's kind of country, dose all their animals this way. Purchase it at the feed store and they say it last a couple years and cost about $12 for the whole summer.

I think it's very rare for mix dogs to get MDR1... I researched it and talked to a couple vets b/c I have mixes and that's what they told me. Plus, like Jessica said, if the dose matches the weight, it will be fine since there isn't enough invermectin in the pill (which has 25lb dog dose no matter what size your dog is) to hurt, I thought? everyone on here says it's safe, the heart guard, so how can a lesser amount be unsafe?? The pills will have more invermectin than her dosing based on weight provided the dog is less than 25lbs. You can do the test, though, if you're wanting to be certain and safe. My point is how is the dose different than the pill when Jessica said the dose is more based on your actually animal? Do people on here just avoid heart guard unless they've tested their dog? I've seen it said over and over it doesn't contain enough to hurt them... so I'm curios what's changed.
 
Last edited:
If your question is, do I give ivermectin? My answer is no. I do not use Heartguard even though they swear the dosage is OK for ivermectin sensitive dogs.
 
If your question is, do I give ivermectin? My answer is no. I do not use Heartguard even though they swear the dosage is OK for ivermectin sensitive dogs.

Ohhh, I see. I have seen a lot of people post on here that do use it, so I thought the general consensus was there isn't enough in the pill to cause a reaction, even if MDR1, and most people used that. I see. I figured something had been confirmed to show it's not harmful given it's such a low dose because I know I've seen people repeatedly say it's not harmful on this forum!

I suppose if experienced owners are doubting that it's safe for their breed, then you should do the test -- or at least inquire about it cause being their half, I think it's hard to pass on, but better save than sorry. Anyone giving their pets poison should really have bentonite clay on hand should they ever have a bad reaction to any of it, even if they've had it before it can happen.
 
Back
Top