Ivermectin?

so what is your backup plan with the Interceptor shortage?


My vet is holding a 1 year supply of interceptor for me, but after that Sentinel. I will also have the MDR1 gene test done this year to see where we stand. If we're OK on the MDR1 gene mutation then no worrys. Fingers crossed.
 
My risk matrix is quite clear on this issue. The odds of me screwing up a dose of interceptor is about zero. The odds of my getting the wrong ivermectin, failing to dilute it properly, or otherwise screwing something up in the process is higher than zero. Easy choice here.
 
My risk matrix is quite clear on this issue. The odds of me screwing up a dose of interceptor is about zero. The odds of my getting the wrong ivermectin, failing to dilute it properly, or otherwise screwing something up in the process is higher than zero. Easy choice here.
exactly my thought!!!!! I suck soo horribly at math id be afraid id kill someone!
 
I use Interceptor too. Ivermectin may be safe in small doses but I don't need to take the risk. I'm hoping my stash of Interceptor holds out until it comes back. Otherwise I'll go to Sentinel too.
 
just curious- if Sentinel is made by the same company that makes Interceptor, how come it is still available?
Is it still available?- I haven't checked.

well I just checked- it's not available either
 
Last edited:
1800petmeds suggests these alternatives:
Trifexis
Revolution
Iverhart Max
Heartgard Plus

Dr Foster and Smith adds
Tri-Heart Plus
Advantage Multi
 
My vet was the one who told me the correct dosage and even mixed the first batch for me so... I feel confident my dogs are safe, they have been on it for a while now, and they was on heartgard before that

I would never recommend someone to start using it without researching first and even talking to their vet, just as I wouldnt recommend a raw diet for their dog without first researching
 
Well, even before reading these comments, I had decided not to do the ivermectin on my own anymore. The Wal-Mart right by home now carries a generic version of Heartguard Plus that is exactly like Heartguard but cheaper. I can get a 6 month supply for my 60 lb lab for $30, and a 6 month supply for Alex's size for $20. So, that is what I am going to start doing. I am taking Summer in Saturday for a heartworm test, and Alex goes to the vet Thursday. I will get prescriptions for both of them.
 
My vet sells us Heartguard Plus for Danny. It is a chewy molasses kind of square. So it is already measured. Personally, I wouldn't trust myself to measure out a dose for him. But then that's just me.
 
Laura0901

I wouldn't risk using it. I used it on my shelties for a couple of years with no side effect BUT one of the pups that I bred died as a result of his owner accidently overdosing him. It was a shocking death with the poor dog fitting and being in an induced coma for days before he died.

btw one of our local vets told me that he 'accidently' killed a clients Collie Rough with it too Laura

This is EXACTLY the reason that I will never recommend Ivermectin that is not already dosed out on an open world wide forum.

It is very easy to overdose AND you will kill your pet if you overdose it.



If you are comfortable that everyone in the world will read your post, dilute correctly, and give the proper dosage than that is fine.

Personally, I don't trust that someone would not make a fatal mistake. That is not something I would be comfortable with.

It is a personal decision, but I just want to make sure that people are aware that they can kill their pet by overdosing on Ivermectin. MDR1 dog or not.
 
Back
Top