Jocu- senior? seizures?

Calliesmom

Moderator
I guess he is- he's 9 now.
so we're posting because about 8:30ish last night, Jocu had a seizure. he seemed to recover pretty well and we followed our bedtime routine. then another one around 1 am and another around 6 am.
we went to the vet this morning and are currently awaiting results- in the meantime, vet wants to start him on phenobarbital. our regular vet was out but he's aware of the situation.
he's entered in a 3 day agility trial this weekend and 2 days next weekend but he won't get to run......
 
Oh no no! Jocu is much too young for senior dog status in my mind. So many different reasons for seizures but they are usually unmistakable. Often they get really stiff, have jerky uncoordinated movements, sometimes thrash around. Our kitty was beset by these the last few months of his life. They usually are disoriented for a bit once the seizure is over. It is not, however, painful (a blessing).

I'm so sorry Denice! what a shock. Sending positive thoughts your way, let us know as you have more info. :hugs
 
I'm so sorry to hear this, Denice. Pixie had seizures early in her life for several years but we only treated them holistically. They stopped until she was 11, and then began again. We never treated her with phenobarbitol though, it's a tough drug and there are other choices now. Our vet prescribed something else, but I'd have to go back and check her files. I'll do that and let you know. Sending you lots of good thoughts and hugs.

Found it...we treated her with Gabapentin. It was effective and didn't have the side effects some of the others do.
 
Dewey had seizures when he was alive. When he had his he would lose control of his muscles and legs and would make crazy uncontrollable movements. I would hold him so I could try to not let him hurt himself or bite his tongue. The Vet put him on phenobarbital to help control them.In the beginning they would last 15 seconds or so and he would be wiped out for about 1 hour afterwards. The 1 side effect he had was his urine output increased after he was on the medication. He did well and after he had been on the meds for a few weeks He would have a sezure maybe once or twice a month. He had them for almost 4 years. In his last 5 months the frequency and the duration of the seizures increased.and his quality of life decreased
 
Jocu Just does not seem that old at 9! This came on so suddenly. Could he have gotten into something? So many seizures in such a short period of time seems unusual. I never had experience with them. I certainly hope you can get medication that can help to ease the symptoms. I am sure you will be relieved when you can speak to your vet.
 
I guess he is- he's 9 now.
so we're posting because about 8:30ish last night, Jocu had a seizure. he seemed to recover pretty well and we followed our bedtime routine. then another one around 1 am and another around 6 am.
we went to the vet this morning and are currently awaiting results- in the meantime, vet wants to start him on phenobarbital. our regular vet was out but he's aware of the situation.
he's entered in a 3 day agility trial this weekend and 2 days next weekend but he won't get to run......

Seizures are always scary to see in a dog and I am sorry you and Jocu are dealing with this. Were his seizures full grand mals or what are called focal or partial seizures? Does he bounce back fast after each seizure with basically no vivible postictal state? Treatment medications may be different depending on the severity/type of the seizures.

I have had 4 dogs in the past with seizures...Yoda's started when he was just over a year old and were full grand mals. Mickey's were partial seizures, not sure when the started as we adopted him out of a shelter when he was around 6 years old and no medical history came with him. Then our Kinnon developed seizures when he was 14... they were due to a brain tumor...our Sunshine at 13 years old also had seizures in just the last week of her life...also brain tumor.

If Jocu is showing no other physical/movement/mental changes then it is VERY doubtful that a brain tumor is the cause...and an MRI would be the only way to dx a brain tumor. Could he have ingested something that caused these seizures...it is strange that they would suddenly appear at his age and repeat 3x in less than 24 hours. What tests were run that you are awaiting results from?
Trini
 
I guess he is- he's 9 now.
so we're posting because about 8:30ish last night, Jocu had a seizure. he seemed to recover pretty well and we followed our bedtime routine. then another one around 1 am and another around 6 am.
we went to the vet this morning and are currently awaiting results- in the meantime, vet wants to start him on phenobarbital. our regular vet was out but he's aware of the situation.
he's entered in a 3 day agility trial this weekend and 2 days next weekend but he won't get to run......
Oh, that's too bad! I hope he's okay
 
Oh wow, that would have been a shock - I assume he's never had anything before? I hope it's one of those random things that disappears wihout reason, I do know a dog that happened to.

Btw, may not be of any help whatsover, but Della had these episodes of uncontrollable trembling recently that the vets initially couldn't work out. Eventually decided to have her anal glands checked as she was sitting down a lot - and they were huge and infected (I'm a bad mom). Anyway, the shaking has stopped so I guess it was the infection.
 
Back
Top