Jody can hardly walk (bad flesh wounds on pads)

Tabitha

Forums Enthusiast
Today I took Jody out to our favorite country airport (owned by a good friend) with a small group of other friends. One person in particular named Steve tends to get on my nerves A LOT, but I try to get along with him (I don't think he really knows he's rude).

Anyway, I'd already been playing fetch with Jody for a while and wanted him to take a brake, but he wanted more play time, so I let Steve throw the ball for a few times, he threw pretty far too. I told him to keep it in the grass, I didn't want Joe to hurt his paws on the runway (which is made out of asphalt just like roads). He didn't listen, and after only 3 throws I noticed Jody was limping, so I made him stop. I was pretty PO'ed at that point.:mad: I felt his paws for any thorns, found one and it came out easy. I thought that was the cause of his limping so I went to take him for a short walk to cool him down after the run (and to cool down my temper). But he wouldn't come with me. After looking closer I saw that the bottoms of his front paws were covered in dirt and blood!

I carred him around until we left (all 25lbs of him). He seemed ok until we got home. Now he can hardly walk and it was SO painful for him just to go potty. Literally CHUNKS of his pads are missing in 3 places! This happened once before last year, but not nearly this bad and he was just fine the same day and I had to MAKE him stay in bed, this time he can hardly get out of bed at all.:no:

I've cleaned his paws as good as I can and put Neosporin on them. He has to wear booties until they'er healed. I'm keeping a very close eye on them and watching for infection, if I see any sighs I'll take him to the vet. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. It's night time right now (just before midnight), so let's hope he's a little better by morning.:(
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Tabitha, I've never had that happen. Sounds horrible. I would keep gently bathing the paws in warm salt water, you can also try cold tea which has a natural anti septic. If it was one of mine I would use an antiseptic cream such as Savlon (don't know if have that in US?) and bandage the paws to prevent licking.

Hopefully it heals soon
 
I'm so sorry. Sometimes folks think the know better than we do about our dogs. You're a good Sheltie Mom!

Colonel Underpants has Muttluks to protect his feet from asphalt. We got a great price on Ebay -- otherwise they cost the earth!!
 
Poor Jody...paw pad injuries are so painful. I am really sorry this happened and hope this morning you can see some improvement. As you already know, keeping the wounds clean and covered with antiobiotic ointment and a sock or some wrap is really important.

Trini
 
Poor Jody...I hope he's better this morning! Once his paws start to heal, you might try using a bit of Bag Balm on his paw pads regularly to keep them healthy. Feed stores sell it. It's an ointment though, so use it lightly or he'll track it around the house.
 
Poor puppy ! Just keep doing what you are doing and he will feel better in a few days.

The only other thing I would suggest is bandanging with Vetwrap instead of the booties, because if those booties shift at all they may cause more irritation. Just be careful not to wrap too tightly with the vet wrap. And use a gauze pad under the wrap, where the sores are.

Good luck and I hope your baby feels better quickly !
 
Poor fella.
I can't imagine how sore he must feel. I'm sure all your TLC will bring relief and speed healing. You are doing all the right things for him. I agree with the "no socks" which could shift and irritate.
Saying an extra prayer !
:hugs
 
This happens somewhat frequently in agility--I know of some people who use liquid bandage, though I don't have any personal experience. You could probably Google it.
 
Thank you all for the suggestions and good wishes. He's doing a little better this morning, but is still in a lot of pain. I took him out to go potty and he walked around a little (a VERY little), then the girls started chasing each other around the yard and, of corse, he wanted to join in. He took off before I could stop him and went about 10 feet then stopped crouching over and looked like he was about to fall over in pain.:cry: I looked at his paws and it dosn't look like he hurt them any more, I think he just forgot how bad they hurt. He's been laying in his bed all morning giving me pitiful looks. I don't have anything to wrap his paws in, that's why I'm using to boots. I'll try to get to the store sometime today and get some. Again, thank you for all the help.
 
Thankfully it was just road rash . . . when I saw the title to this I thought your neighbors threw acid in the yard or something!

Hang in there. At least it wasn't the neighbors!
 
Back
Top