Jump Height Issues

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
What are your thoughts on this.

Koji was measured. Looks like he's 17"-17.5". Which means he should jump the following heights (please correct me if I'm wrong):

AKC: 16"
NADAC: 16"
USDAA: 22"
USDAA Performance: 16"

Is there any differences in titles or anything like that if I run him preferred for USDAA? At 17", jumping 22" is pushing it. He followed his BFF (a small lab, but taller than him) over one and ended up almost head over feet - literally! And obviously, it'd slow him down jumping over 22" versus 16".

What I'm trying to figure out, basically, is if it's worth it for me to train him at 22" (eventually, he's just now jumping 16") so I can do Champions USDAA, or say screw it, and just jump 16".

thanks.
 
Last edited:
Jumping

In AKC he won't be jumping 16. He would probably be jumping 20. Shadow is 167/8 and jumps 16.I forgot what NADAC is . In USDAA he could just do the Performance and jump 20 becasue Shadow jumped 16 in the Performance. I may be wrong.I prefer AKC first and USDAA second.In AKC if you did ISC class with him he would be jumping 24 . ISC is International.When Shadow went to Germany last year he jumped 18.If he was my dog I would not train 22. To many injuries. That is just my opinion.
 
Edan is in a similar position because he measures in at 14 5/8 - right between two jump heights. His jump heights break down as such:

CPE: 12" (http://www.k9cpe.com/forms/2009rulebook.pdf - page 4)
TDAA: 12" (http://www.k9tdaa.com/TDAArules.htm#3_Conduct_of_Agility_Test)
NADAC: 16" (http://www.nadac.com/Rules_for_NADAC_trials.htm#_Jump_Heights)
USDAA: 16" (http://www.usdaa.com/binary/files/rules_ebook_2004_chp345.pdf)
AKC: 16" (I can't find this online but I did read it somewhere)

While 16" isn't too bad for a Sheltie, unlike 22" which I agree is a bit much even though Edan has cleared 22" jumps without a thought, I will jump him at the lower height whenever I can. No title is worth injury to my dog.
 
No title is worth injury to my dog.

That's what I was thinking. I guess I was wondering how hard on their bodies it'd be for jumping 22"/20". I'm sure for some, it could be easy as pie, but others, maybe a bit harder?


Sharon said:
In AKC he won't be jumping 16. He would probably be jumping 20.

Okay, that's what I thought, but I am having a very hard time finding the AKC heights. I knew one of them was 20" but couldn't recall. Did they change it? Because most sites that list the heights are showing 16" for his height.

So, for AKC, would you guys do 20" Or just say screw it and stick with USDAA Performance?

Thanks. And since I probalby won't be doing International, I'm good, but thanks for the info.
 
Last edited:
Heights

I would say go ahead and jump him 20. He should not have any problem clearing it. Shadow clears 20 no problem and keeps the bars up.At least give it a try and see what happens.
 
I would say go ahead and jump him 20. He should not have any problem clearing it. Shadow clears 20 no problem and keeps the bars up.At least give it a try and see what happens.

Thanks. Right now, he's up to 16" and he clears that fine. Need to work on his jumping though, so I bought a jump. :) We'll see how he does with 20". If it's easy, I'll talk to my trainer. Maybe jump 20" while he's young, but then go to 16"?

Speaking of which, for those that do agility, do you give your dog glucosamine supp's?
 
I wouldn't push my dog harder than needed. Just see how he does, some dogs are natural jumpers - others aren't. Aztec would probably have to jump 20" at least, but he is a lousy jumper. Laika is the exact same size and can easily clear 34" (and she is going to be eight before long) but that doesn't mean I pushed her to her limit. I usually jumped her at either 16" or 20".
 
I wouldn't push my dog harder than needed. Just see how he does, some dogs are natural jumpers - others aren't.

Oh I completely agree. I mean, he loves going up and down stairs, but we've noticed that doesnt' translate to being a jumper AT ALL! lol. He also doesn't jump on the couch/bed, so we may have kinda killed the jumper in him. We are working on 16" right now. He got a fear of it (long story), so is getting used to it again.

When he followed his BFF over the 20" (or was it 22"), he didn't do to hot, BUT he also didn't hesitate and he made it over easily. Just needs to strengthen and work on jumping. We'll see how he does. If it's horrible, trust me, I wouldn't force him. It's for fun, not for titles.
 
Ditto!

I don't do agility with my pups, but if getting on and off my boat is any indication, size is not the primary consideration.

Indy, who is smaller and lighter but only by a smidge can make the great leaps to the dock. Bacca who is smarter but longer and heavier boned, cannot/willnot.

Attititude is everything.
 
Back
Top