just out of curiousity

dblock

Forums Enthusiast
So, this might sound like a dumb question, but, you know some people say you can tell how cold winter is going to be by the animals around us. In that vain, Beau has been blowing his coat left and right. It seems like I have to brush his every day. Have any of you noticed a correlation between how much your dogs shed and how cold it gets in the winter?
 
First, I had a teacher tell me years ago that the only dumb question is one that is not asked.

Mally has never blown his coat like he has recently. It will be interesting to see if we get a very cold winter this year. (hope not)
 
Good thought! Shelby has been blowing her coat like crazy the past few weeks too. I am always brushing her. I do not ever remember Hollie blowing her coat this much.

We are now under our first freeze warning and may see some flakes this week. So maybe you are correct.
 
It makes sense empirically that there would be some kind of innate mechanism for anticipating the severity of winters. What it might be I can't imagine, but that doesn't mean it's not there!
 
everyone here is blowing coat...and even a few of the people I show with are blowing too...seems later than I remember usually mine blow coat in early sept...not sure about the correlation with weather..guess I'll have to wait it out and see...
Now when my feral cat packs on the pounds I get a little worried...she hasnt been too bad this fall, minimal weight gain so far.
 
Coat blowing

Koffoy is blowing his coat so much I was beginning to think something's wrong. I'm worried he is going to be cold this winter as he is only 1 1/2. Had our first really cold day today with some snowflakes. Thankfully the snow didn't stay around, I'm not ready for it.
 
Riley (7.5 months) has not started to blow his coat. He doesn't have a lot of hair yet, should I still expect him to blow his coat?

Speaking of winter, is there anything I can do to keep snow from sticking to him?
 
Honey is blowing her coat like crazy. It's been going on for almost a month!! Every day there's new hair waiting to be brushed out. Ruutu has yet to blow a coat.. though he doesn't have a coat to blow (9 months)
 
Riley (7.5 months) has not started to blow his coat. He doesn't have a lot of hair yet, should I still expect him to blow his coat?

Speaking of winter, is there anything I can do to keep snow from sticking to him?
He probably won't blow coat until he's at least a year old. I don't know about the snow thing though, we just always toweled the dogs off afterwords.
 
No blowing coat here in Southern Ontario. Our winters have been bizarre lately. This fall, in about 5-6 weeks, we had over an foot of rain alone. North of us last night, they had about 4 inches of snow (they can keep it). I am hoping for another mild winter - few storms, little snow.
 
Back
Top