Kangaroo Tail?

Noneeds4me

Forums Enthusiast
I was looking around online for some deer antlers, and came across Kangaroo tails? Has anybody used these??? How do they compare to deer antlers?
 
OMG! What's next? I'm no animal activist, but neither am I a believer in hunting, culling herds, etc.

I'm just not comfortable with these more "exotic" chews out there. It creates a market, which therefore could create a need, and result in more culling.
 
I'm with Barb on this one. Deer doesn't bother me, because people hunt and eat deer here all the time (not me though :dead:). Kangaroo is kind of out there. It's like the thing with the buffalo dog food - when did shelties ever herd buffalo? :rolleyes2:
 
At least with the deer antlers, no deer have to be killed to get them. As Dr. Shelli said...they shed them. I'm with you all on the kangaroo though. I'd never want to buy something that would further instigate the killing of such animals just so my dog can have a chew toy.
 
From what I understand, kangaroos are a bit of a plague in Australia... sort of like deer in the US. There are a lot of them, they're big, and they don't have any natural predators - so their populations grow large in areas populated by humans, they cause auto accidents, etc., and culling is encouraged. I believe the Australian government has actually started initiatives to encourage folks to cook with kangaroo meat. They're being killed anyway to keep the numbers down; the tails your dog eats are just a byproduct. Caro can definitely fill us in on this.

I'm a vegan, but rationally - if you feed cows to your dogs, why not kangaroos? (If you eat cows yourself, why not kangaroos?) The argument can be made that at least the 'roos lived their lives out in the open, doing what kangaroos do, until they had one really bad day. And certainly the cow is a sentient animal who would, given the choice, prefer not to be eaten by anybody - a level of understanding that certainly equals a kangaroo's.

all that said, I don't think I could deal with watching (or hearing) my dog chomping on a kangaroo tail on the living room floor. :dead:
 
The dogs loooove roo tails, although they do smell a bit. Roo in all forms is incredibly popular here, both for humans and pets as it has no fat, is high in the readily digestible protein and the bones are the right density for chewing and not splintering. Smoked roo tail is also popular amongst indigenous communities, personally its a bit too tough for me.

Tofu mum is right, roos are routinely culled because their numbers get too big, they destroy the natural habitat and reduce numbers of other native wildlife. They are worse than rabbits and would be culled regardless of whether there was a market for their food. There was a lot of annoyance here last year when all these British naturalists (incl Paul McCartney) stopped the Govt's roo cull - didnt see them doing anything to help the other animals near extinction because of the roo numbers.

Jessica, shelties do herd Kangaroos, I have the photos to prove it! Besides, we dont have deer in Aust so people hunt (and eat) roos.


The motto here is 'eat a Roo - save a Numbat'! And here's a pic of Numbats so you can see what your pups will be saving.
 

Attachments

  • Numbat.jpg
    Numbat.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 16
From what I understand, kangaroos are a bit of a plague in Australia... sort of like deer in the US. There are a lot of them, they're big, and they don't have any natural predators - so their populations grow large in areas populated by humans, they cause auto accidents, etc., and culling is encouraged. I believe the Australian government has actually started initiatives to encourage folks to cook with kangaroo meat. They're being killed anyway to keep the numbers down; the tails your dog eats are just a byproduct. Caro can definitely fill us in on this.

I'm a vegan, but rationally - if you feed cows to your dogs, why not kangaroos? (If you eat cows yourself, why not kangaroos?) The argument can be made that at least the 'roos lived their lives out in the open, doing what kangaroos do, until they had one really bad day. And certainly the cow is a sentient animal who would, given the choice, prefer not to be eaten by anybody - a level of understanding that certainly equals a kangaroo's.

all that said, I don't think I could deal with watching (or hearing) my dog chomping on a kangaroo tail on the living room floor. :dead:

Yes...you make good sense of this. I guess for a city person like me....my first reaction is to not advocate it...especially with those gorgeous deer...BUT....when you think it through a little deeper, you see other angles of it that do make sense. In the end...is it any different than giving our furkids cow hooves, or pigs ears? The thought of them chomping on those is disgusting too LOL.. Just have to say I don't give my furkids those but only because I've had them (pigs ears) cause problems.

I have to add I'm glad to have found a subject not yet addressed on SN..LOL...that's HARD to do! ;-)..
 
Back
Top