Kangaroo Tail?

The dogs loooove roo tails, although they do smell a bit. Roo in all forms is incredibly popular here, both for humans and pets as it has no fat, is high in the readily digestible protein and the bones are the right density for chewing and not splintering. Smoked roo tail is also popular amongst indigenous communities, personally its a bit too tough for me.

Tofu mum is right, roos are routinely culled because their numbers get too big, they destroy the natural habitat and reduce numbers of other native wildlife. They are worse than rabbits and would be culled regardless of whether there was a market for their food. There was a lot of annoyance here last year when all these British naturalists (incl Paul McCartney) stopped the Govt's roo cull - didnt see them doing anything to help the other animals near extinction because of the roo numbers.

Jessica, shelties do herd Kangaroos, I have the photos to prove it! Besides, we dont have deer in Aust so people hunt (and eat) roos.


The motto here is 'eat a Roo - save a Numbat'! And here's a pic of Numbats so you can see what your pups will be saving.

This just keeps getting more and more interesting to me. Oh my gosh...those numbats are adorable! They look like squirrels, but with longer noses. Thank you for educating me/us on this subject Caro. I had no idea of the problem roos create.

FYI...we live in the city, and the problem we personally have is with opposums. They walk along our block wall of our yard and tantalize the dogs. Lord help us if one of the dogs ever gets ahold of one. That would NOT have a good outcome for our pups. Interesting though...our county "protects" opposums. They too multiply like crazy..IMO. I just wish there was something we could do to better keep them distanced from our furkids. We have to do yard checks in the early a.m., and evening/night before letting them go outside.
 
Intellectually I understand the need to cull. Emotionally, I can't go there

Is there no natural predator for the Kangaroo? In North America, they talk about culling the deer, but if we only stop destroying habitat for wolves, etc. then the wolves would take care of business. But they cull wolves too.

Its a chicken and egg thing. I just think that mankind needs to think smarter and try to find a way for nature to take care of itself. I know it sounds too simplistic, but I just wish we would try harder to help nature, rather than take over nature's job.
 
if we only stop destroying habitat for wolves, etc. then the wolves would take care of business. But they cull wolves too.

I live out in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing in this world more teriffying than working graveyard (back when I worked graveyard) and hearing wolves call in the area behind my house. Adding to that is the fear that since it's dark and I'm alone that there would be more than one since they are pack animals. I have a long driveway. If I got attacked in the night and screamed nobody would hear me.

I'd rather people shoot deers and eat them than have to worry about wolves. I can deal with a deer on my front porch.
 
I live out in the middle of nowhere. There is nothing in this world more teriffying than working graveyard (back when I worked graveyard) and hearing wolves call in the area behind my house. Adding to that is the fear that since it's dark and I'm alone that there would be more than one since they are pack animals. I have a long driveway. If I got attacked in the night and screamed nobody would hear me.

I'd rather people shoot deers and eat them than have to worry about wolves. I can deal with a deer on my front porch.

"Compared to other carnivorous mammals known to attack humans in general, the frequency with which wolves have been recorded to kill or prey on people is much lower, indicating that though potentially dangerous, wolves are among the least threatening for their size and predatory potential."

Should make you feel better!
 
"Compared to other carnivorous mammals known to attack humans in general, the frequency with which wolves have been recorded to kill or prey on people is much lower, indicating that though potentially dangerous, wolves are among the least threatening for their size and predatory potential."

Should we as humans upset an entire ecosystem because of the potential harm that any one creature, plant, etc... could pose to us? You are suggesting that you would promote deforestation, the possible extinction of any species, in order to avoid a situation that has an infinitisimally small probability of affecting you or others. Could we even survive in a climate where the elimination of any species considered threatening was acceptable? Where do you draw the line?

I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is I don't want the little suckers on my porch. No need to get riled up about it. :razz: I just said I think it's scary to hear them calling at night, and that I'd rather they go bug somebody else.

I'm really trying to figure out how you got doomsday messages out of anything I just typed. I can be afraid of wolves. I can want them to not be on my porch. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't say I wanted them wiped off the face of the planet. I just don't want them in my back yard, because they ARE in the land behind my house. You can hear them calling.
 
I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is I don't want the little suckers on my porch. No need to get riled up about it. :razz: I just said I think it's scary to hear them calling at night, and that I'd rather they go bug somebody else.

I'm really trying to figure out how you got doomsday messages out of anything I just typed. I can be afraid of wolves. I can want them to not be on my porch. Nothing wrong with that. I didn't say I wanted them wiped off the face of the planet. I just don't want them in my back yard, because they ARE in the land behind my house. You can hear them calling.

Yes, I reread your post and realized I misinterpreted it--hence the edit! :)
 
The dogs loooove roo tails, although they do smell a bit. Roo in all forms is incredibly popular here, both for humans and pets as it has no fat, is high in the readily digestible protein and the bones are the right density for chewing and not splintering. Smoked roo tail is also popular amongst indigenous communities, personally its a bit too tough for me.

Tofu mum is right, roos are routinely culled because their numbers get too big, they destroy the natural habitat and reduce numbers of other native wildlife. They are worse than rabbits and would be culled regardless of whether there was a market for their food. There was a lot of annoyance here last year when all these British naturalists (incl Paul McCartney) stopped the Govt's roo cull - didnt see them doing anything to help the other animals near extinction because of the roo numbers.

Jessica, shelties do herd Kangaroos, I have the photos to prove it! Besides, we dont have deer in Aust so people hunt (and eat) roos.


The motto here is 'eat a Roo - save a Numbat'! And here's a pic of Numbats so you can see what your pups will be saving.

those numbats are kinda cute- never heard of them before :smile2:
 
Yeh I must say I would be pretty daunted by wolves howling too (all the scariest horror movies have wolves in the background), glad its something we dont have here. Do they scavenge through your bins?

Most of our dangerous critters are little (spiders and snakes), we have a few small animal predators (eg dingos and tassie tigers and of course feral cats, dogs and foxes) but those Eastern Grey Kangaroos are HUGE.
 
Do they scavenge through your bins?

We have only had trash pick up for a few years here. That means until fairly recently we've had to load our trash up once a day into the back of one of our vehicles and take a five minute ride to the dump yard.

Since they have started picking up our trash once a week we have been very, very careful of what we put in the trash. Stray cats, neighborhood dogs, raccoons, ect. get into the trash if you put food in it. While there are a good number of stray cats in my area, ever since they have taken down the dump site there have been no stray dogs. Some neighbors aren't good about keeping their pets up, but they are not stray - they have a home (although you wonder how much their owners really care for them if they let them roam the road).

So we take food scraps and throw it out at the back of the house or we wait and save them to take them to the trash bin by the road the morning of trash pickup. I don't like tossing food outside, but if you don't toss the food out the back door the raccoons and cats will tear your trash bags to shreds. That means the trash people won't pick up your trash if there is a mess. :dead:
 
Some food for thought:
Deer antlers are not bone but hair based

Deer populations that are too large can result in starvation in the first cold winter or disease in a hot summer.

Buffalo for humans cannot be boosted with antibiotics (they can be treated) or hormones. Not sure on dog destined ones.

Humans were always a predator for deer. While the number of humans has increased the predatory numbers might have actually dropped.

Heard the stuff Caro said on roos from my bike riding buddies down under also.

BlueSheep like buffalo, elk, deer, cow and maple but have never had a chance to naw on roo. Fish are evil.

EDIT: and Smudge you likely are hearing Coyotes which are quite common in your area (increasing here)
 
Back
Top