Kyara is getting her eyes checked out today.

Meldor

Forums Enthusiast
She was checked out last November and the vet determined that she has Corneal Distrophy. I am going in with her at 1PM because lately she had been squinting a lot and just seems overall not that great.

I am kind of worried since I think I see sort of a little dimple/cavity on both of her eyes, I'm thinking this might be ulcers but I have no idea... I'm not sure if I am describing this well so I am inserting the best picture I got of it which unfortunately doesn't show much. It is located where the light is reflecting out of on the right side, it seems like a little hollow spot on the surface.

IMAG1324.jpg

Plus, one of her eyes just seems to have gotten much more cloudier in the last year and I am worried she is losing her sight in that one. :( However, I may just be over thinking this.

Please keep us in your thoughts today.
 
Prayers that all is well with Kyara! :hugs
How old is she? I can't remember, but it seems like she's pretty young.:(
 
Both you and Kyara are in my thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us posted on how your girl is doing.

Hug her for me. Thanks.
 
Thanks everyone! We are back.

Good news, no ulceration in any of her eyes. What I am seeing is actually caused by the disease, her cornea just isn't smooth as it should be and some angles can appear like there is hollow spots on it.

Her left eye really seems worse off then last year and does seem irritated therefore the vet wants me to try some antibiotic drops for 2 weeks and go back to see him.

I don't have such a good feeling about giving her the drops since the vet seemed so unsure about this and I don't like the ''let's try this'' about it... I don't like to experiment with my dog's health. :no: But really what do I know, I am not a vet and I really like how good he is with Kyara. He told me that if anything seems to be getting worse like the cloudiness, scratching at her eye, squinting or anything, to go see him right away.

The drops are Maxitrol (they contain neomycin, polymyxin b sulfate & dexamethasone). If anyone has a sheltie with corneal dystrophy and have used some kind of drops or if anyone know about these drops feel free to let me know about your experience with these.

Thanks for the support today everyone :smile2:. I'm glad no ulcers were found and her right eye seems to have remained relatively the same as last year.
 
Are you working with your regular vet? I ask because we went to see a friend of ours who is a vet ophthalmologist and she knew SO much. Not sure if there are any near you that would consider a consult?
 
For this condition they switched my vet for the one in the practice with more knowledge on eye disease but I don't think he is an ophthalmologist vet. I think there is one in a clinic in Ottawa but the prices are pretty expensive there. The other option would be at about 2 hours from here :S at the university vet hospital. I guess we'll see if the drops help and if not we will consider seeing a specialist.
 
Back
Top