Lepto shot

KarenW

Forums Regular
Ok going to vet soon for third round of shots. As of yet Prancer hasn't had the lepto shot because my breeder was so against it. Need help in deciding. Last time me n vet had a kinda stern discussion n he told me to think about the consequences n weigh the good n bad. He is adiment that I get it ? What's everyone's opinion
Please help me decide.
 
Don't get it with mine. My vet won't give it to his and he won't give it to mine. The way he explained it - unless I was out walking in the woods, we're fine. The dogs are in their backyard, on city walks, there is no need.
 
My very first dog was given a DHLPP as a puppy, while in rescue. His face blew up and he puked all over everything. No more Lepto for us. And you have to give it yearly, as bacterial vaccines don't last long.
 
In my opinion there's not much benefit for the risk. Of course it's true that if you don't get the vaccination, and your dog gets sick and dies, you're going to feel pretty bad. But that's no reason to get any vaccination; it's an emotional trick that hucksters play on you.
 
If the breeder said no then dont. There is a reason for why they said no.

I agree 100% with this. Your breeder had good reason for recommending against the Lepto shot. Maybe you should contact them and inquire why they advised against it. Let them know the vet is pressuring you to get the shot and you needed additional information to rebut the vet.

Don't let the vet force you or guilt trip you into doing something you don't agree with or were advised against. If that continues you may want to consider a new vet.
 
The breeder may know that there is MDR1 pos present in her lines. Could that make the shot potentially deadly?
 
Last edited:
The breeder may know that there is MDR1 pos present in her lines. That would make the shot potentially deadly.

I didn't know the shot could be deadly for MDR1 positive dogs? I will have to look into it before getting for Riley (MDR1 pos). The backyard backs up to woods and deer in the yard are common. I got lepto and lymes shots for him last year but now knowing he has MDR1 I would like to minimize the vaccines.
 
I didn't know the shot could be deadly for MDR1 positive dogs? I will have to look into it before getting for Riley (MDR1 pos). The backyard backs up to woods and deer in the yard are common. I got lepto and lymes shots for him last year but now knowing he has MDR1 I would like to minimize the vaccines.

On this I will defer to Dr. Shelli; I don't know it for a fact. Lepto reactions are common, the question that comes to mind for me is it one of the proteins in the vaccine combined with the MDR1 gene that makes that happen? Be interesting to know the answer....
 
Back
Top