Little Luke has a limp

Selena Wohlslagel

Forums Enthusiast
Luke is about 21/2 years old.. recently he developed a big limp.it would swell near his shoulder blade.thr vet put him on nonsteroidal antiinflammatories and a. Diet.for two weeks.she discoverd one of his front legs is shorter than the other. Has anyone else experienced this with your shelties? Any advice most appreciated.
 
When Piper was around 3 he hurt his shoulder and had a major limp! It took over 2 months, Metacam and Robaxin and a cortisone shot and major restrictions in movement to help him heal. I crated him (I have a large soft crate), carried him up and down stairs and took him outside on leash ALL the time. It wasn’t until 30 days after his cortisone shot and with no improvement we had a follow up appointment and the vet manipulated his shoulder. The following day he was almost his old self. I really think the vet had unknowingly popping something back into place. It still took a couple months of rehab and I had to continue restricting him to a certain extent so he didn’t reinjure it (he lost quite a bit of muscle) but he turns 6 tomorrow and hasn’t had another issue with it since.
I wonder if your Luke had had been favouring it and perhaps it only seems like his leg is shorter? Have you thought about a chiropractor or a rehab physiotherapist for dogs? As my vet explained it to me it’s very important for it to heal properly or you risk it becoming chronic and having arthritis set it. Good luck and I hope you get some answers for Luke.
 
When Piper was around 3 he hurt his shoulder and had a major limp! It took over 2 months, Metacam and Robaxin and a cortisone shot and major restrictions in movement to help him heal. I crated him (I have a large soft crate), carried him up and down stairs and took him outside on leash ALL the time. It wasn’t until 30 days after his cortisone shot and with no improvement we had a follow up appointment and the vet manipulated his shoulder. The following day he was almost his old self. I really think the vet had unknowingly popping something back into place. It still took a couple months of rehab and I had to continue restricting him to a certain extent so he didn’t reinjure it (he lost quite a bit of muscle) but he turns 6 tomorrow and hasn’t had another issue with it since.
I wonder if your Luke had had been favouring it and perhaps it only seems like his leg is shorter? Have you thought about a chiropractor or a rehab physiotherapist for dogs? As my vet explained it to me it’s very important for it to heal properly or you risk it becoming chronic and having arthritis set it. Good luck and I hope you get some answers for Luke.
If a puppy has a damaged growth plate, that bone can stop growing early and result in a shorter limb. You could ask your vet about that.

Good luck. Lumps are such a pain
Thank you for this information.i am certainly going to check in to all of it.so glad Piper's recoved
 
When Piper was around 3 he hurt his shoulder and had a major limp! It took over 2 months, Metacam and Robaxin and a cortisone shot and major restrictions in movement to help him heal. I crated him (I have a large soft crate), carried him up and down stairs and took him outside on leash ALL the time. It wasn’t until 30 days after his cortisone shot and with no improvement we had a follow up appointment and the vet manipulated his shoulder. The following day he was almost his old self. I really think the vet had unknowingly popping something back into place. It still took a couple months of rehab and I had to continue restricting him to a certain extent so he didn’t reinjure it (he lost quite a bit of muscle) but he turns 6 tomorrow and hasn’t had another issue with it since.
I wonder if your Luke had had been favouring it and perhaps it only seems like his leg is shorter? Have you thought about a chiropractor or a rehab physiotherapist for dogs? As my vet explained it to me it’s very important for it to heal properly or you risk it becoming chronic and having arthritis set it. Good luck and I hope you get some answers for Luke.
 
Little Luke seems to be getting better. My husband returns to work tomorrow after a long furlough due to the pandemic. But we intend to get Luke to a vet chiropractor and I found one on Sanibel Island. Thank you again so very much
 
Back
Top