This just pulls at my heart strings! My sweet Cooper is probably the result of a merle to merle breeding, being blind in one eye and partially deaf. As TofuPup said, I've read that some breeders actually breed this way intentionally and that makes me so angry. And, humane or not, the fact that the sweet pups are uthanized day one if they are blind/deaf, just makes me crazy angry. Someone once told me Cooper should have been put down at birth? WHY!? Just because he is not a perfect specimen?? Whose fault was that in the first place? He is a wonderful, sweet, loving dog and I would have missed out on a wonderful companion if he had been put down.
If someone is going to take the risk of breeding in that way, they should be responsible enough to find ALL of the pups kind, responsible, loving homes. If they are not willing to do that, then they should not breed merle to merle.
My sweet boy says, "I'm just as lovable and just as smart as any sighted, hearing sable, tri or merle?"
If someone is going to take the risk of breeding in that way, they should be responsible enough to find ALL of the pups kind, responsible, loving homes. If they are not willing to do that, then they should not breed merle to merle.
My sweet boy says, "I'm just as lovable and just as smart as any sighted, hearing sable, tri or merle?"
It completely sounds like something you would read in the newspaper, and I have before! Not with shelties, but with other breeds.
You're experienced with a special needs dog and we all know you need another sheltie... it would be perfect!