Mia

Welcome to the Sheltie Nation Forum.

It will be great to hear about Mia and her adventures with you as her foster mom. Thanks so much for updating us on her condition, and most of all thank-you for taking Mia in, to love and foster until she can find her furever home.

Dani
 
So nice to meet you Lava.. thank you for what you do for Shelties (and other dogs, too)
I hope things go well for this special little girl!
 
Welcome! So nice of you to come introduce yourself! :). And thanks for taking such good care of Mia.
You know thinking of Mia's sire. I wonder if he could have possibly been a sable Merle? Sometimes a sable Merle as an adult can be hard to tell. Possibly her breeder thought they were telling the truth?
 
Someone here told me our girl was a hot topic, so thought I'd bop over and say hello. The breeder who placed her with us was told her sire was a sable. Someone wasn't quite truthful there. We're just grateful she's with us now until she finds her furever home. (She has a deaf but sighted litter brother we also got who's been adopted out already to a wonderful home).

She is I would say 90-95% deaf. She can hear certain sounds--and she didn't used to. I'm not sure the physiological mechanics of it but she seems to be gaining a small amount of hearing. She's never had formal testing (do they BAER dogs?) but when I got her at 6 weeks she seemed to be totally deaf, and at this point she can hear clickers and some low-pitched loud sounds. Whether she will gain any more hearing I can't say--she'll never have close to normal hearing, but even a little is awesome for her. And I believe she's completely blind--although her microphthlamic eyes do have small pupils in there so I have a small hope that she might gain at least light perception before she's grown.

She's happy and healthy other than her special needs. She plays like any other puppy (before he left, she and her brother would get WILD together, just like any other two SS pups). She runs around, and then loves to sit in your lap and chill. Just like any other 4MO pup.

Also, FYI, there are more of these dogs born than you probably think--but most are culled. More LW Australian Shepherds seem to make it to the general public than Shelties--although it can occur in any breed that carries the merle gene and inherits it the same way--I've heard of LW Dachshunds, Great Danes, and Cocker Spaniels.

This is one of my favorite LW rescue groups (Aussies)
http://aussielads.com/lethal_white.htm
If you scroll about halfway down this page you'll see they have now posted training videos to help with deaf, blind, and deaf-blind dogs as well.

I'd love answer any questions I can about her, our rescue
http://www.cullensarchangelrescue.org/, etc. We are a 501(c)(3) all-breed all-species animal rescue.

Nice to meet you all.


Welcome to sheltie forums Laura!

So awesome that you decided to pop in here,and say hello. Thank you for all you do,and for taking such good care of Mia.I took a long look at your links,so I thank you for posting them here~
 
Welcome to our forum and I wanted to add my thanks to you and your rescue group for taking these special needs dogs. What wonderful work you do. It is so good to know that they don't know any different and can lead a fairly normal life.
 
Back
Top