Miko: Always loved, never forgotten

k9kreationz

Forums Celebrity
It's long. Just a warning. All the linked things below are photos. Figured I'd do this while I'm in a good place. Also, I tried to make it make sense, but my brain is all over the place.

15 years and 3 months ago, I went to pick up a little brown bundle of joy. I had a choice between the pup who would follow you around or the more independent one that did what he wanted. Was it selfish of me to choose the one that would follow me around? Maybe, but who cares. The breeder cried as we got everything together. This was the last pup, of her first litter.

Miko was such a great pup. Yes, he chewed up the wall, the cardboard barrier, and even my car registration, but he never jumped the barrier and didn't ingest what he chewed up, which meant I could piece my registration back together. I always remember when he blew his puppy coat, there was a line of fur, no more than 12" high on the couch. It cracked me up and I think of it fondly when he blew his coat.I took him to puppy class, he refused to walk on a leash, so we just stood there as other dogs went around us. And then he got ran over by two chocolate labs. He didn't like labs too much after that. hehe In the end though, he did what you asked, because he wanted to please you. I could tell he didn't do it because he wanted to, there was just no joy in it. But he was awesome. He even got his CGC when he was 9 months old. 12 years later, I decided to get his Rally Novice title, RN, because Koji had titles and he didn't. He was a good boy and did what his Momma asked him.

Miko was what I call a non-Sheltie and he was my angel. He never let out a bark until he turned 1. Almost to the day. He was paper trained and trained fast. I had to housebreak him later and it only took him about a month and he was housebroken. Smart pup! He wasn't ever hyper, not even as a puppy. He was always mellow, sweet, wanting to please. Rarely barked and had different noises for wanting different things. Although he didn't herd you, he did like to find a place where he could keep an eye on everyone. Everything everyone writes about "sheltie qualities", I only see the good ones in Miko.

I always told him he is a good boy and that Momma loves him very much. He truly was an easy dog and he spoiled me rotten. Koji was a reality check. Miko wasn't too sure about Koji, but he accepted him eventually.

Miko was born an old soul, that's for sure. He always knew when I needed a smile or just some cuddling time. He has been through so much with me over the past 15 years. Marriages, divorces, lots and lots of moves, a cat, another dog, me working and going to school, etc.

My Miko, he was a heart dog, that's for sure. He will never be forgotten, always compared to, and well, as I always tell him, "you are a good boy and Momma loves you". That sums up everything about him.

Thank you for all the support you guys have given me. Without you, I honestly don't know what I would have done. You've helped me handle his kidney disease and old age. The past few weeks were hard, but man oh man, the past few days were the hardest. Seeing him decline so fast was heartbreaking. But I know I made the right decision.

I look back and I regret nothing. Maybe keeping him overweight for so long, but really, no regrets. He was diagnosed with kidney failure in August 2011. I have been home cooking his food since Jan 2012. That boy ate better than me, that's for sure. I know I did more for him than most would have and that I went above and beyond anything I would have done for myself to make sure he had a good quality of life.

I have seen Koji staring at the wall and into space. I would think Miko is already visiting or hasn't left yet. There is a big hole in my life right now and seeing all his stuff around is hard. I know it'll get easier, but for now, I'll let myself feel everything. Koji took over Miko's fleece down blanket. But it warms my heart to see him on it.

I had a service come to my house to do the euthanasia (they're a group of vets working PT who do home euthanasia around the clock. and they'll take the pup to the crematorium or vet if needed). They were really great. The woman I spoke on the phone with was kind. The vet that came, she was very kind, sympathetic, and explained everything.

Before the vet came, I looked outside and realized the sun was out. I took Miko outside and walked around with him for about 10 minutes. Let him enjoy the sun, one last time. If there was more privacy, I would have euthanized him outside in the sun. He loved the sun. Miko was tired, you could tell he was ready to go. Even she said that. She gave him the painkiller and that slowed his heart immensely. After giving the final drug, he was gone within seconds. She then left to give me time alone, then came back with a basket for Miko, filled with flowers that she had picked (of course, Koji ate some, but she said it was fine).

I am having Miko cremated and his cremains returned to me. I purchased an urn yesterday and it should arrive sometime next week. I ended up with about 7.5 oz of his fur. Not sure how much yarn that will give me, but I'll make something out it. I was going to have him shaved and fur returned to me, but I don't think I can live with myself knowing he was cremated "naked". Silly, but well, it was up there with giving the funeral home some clothes for my dad, although we know they don't dress them. Just can't send them off naked.

Here's the last photo of my boys.

I know Miko is in a better place now, but yeah, my heart hurts and I miss my boy.
 
So heart-breaking. You have been the best mum ever, the way you have cared for him through his last months and let him go when he was ready. The tears are flowing freely here, what a beautiful and brave sheltie he was. Hugs to you and Koji.:hugs
 
Aw Cheryl, I am so so sorry to hear this. But you did what was best for Miko in the end and, I personally believe, they never really leave us but keep watch over us. You had a wonderful 15 years with a fabulous boy, he had a loving mum who appreciated him for who he was and did everything she could for him.

Your post was beautiful, telling his story. I'm choked with tears, as I know how hard this must be for you and of course Koji, who will miss his mate.

Thinking of you:hugs
 
Hugs Cheryl. You made a difficult decision, more difficult because of your great love for your boy. The tears are flowing for you. In my thoughts and prayers as you walk forward without your one boy. Hugs to Koji.
 
I'm so sorry about Miko. You did everything you could for him and that's all he could ever ask. :hugs He'll be waiting at the rainbow bridge for you one day.
 
Your tribute is beautiful. I am so sorry for your loss. Miko is now in a better place where he can run in the sunshine with all the other Sheltie Angels.
 
Sorry for your loss. From reading your posts, it sounds as though you gave him a good life and did everything you could for him.
 
What a wonderful send off for a wonderful dog. He will always be with you, in your heart. And now he is in a wonderful place. Prayers of Comfort for you. :hugs
 
I am so sorry, Cheryl. We have traveled Miko's journey with you and share your pain. It doesn't matter how old or sick they are, it's never long enough. You did an amazing job juggling Miko's health issues and taking care of him and you can feel very good about that. He is in a better place now and waiting for you. Take comfort in that. Sending you special hugs and prayers. :hugs
 
Back
Top