Missing the signs?

fourgalore

Forums Enthusiast
Darcy is now just a month over 1yrs old and I feel like we are failing in the potty training!

I don't know if I'm missing his signs or what my problem is. My husband lets him out but I don't think he does his business when he's out or is it he doesn't want to hold it. He generally goes #1 by the back door and that leads me to think I'm missing the signs. But recently he did it on the couch while playing with our other dog and the yesterday he did it in the middle of our stairs after being let out just 30 mins before. Now I'm just wondering what I could be doing wrong? Is he reversing? He holds it in the crate so I know he can hold it.
 
He is fixed right? I would think peeing on the couch could be marking behavior.

Has it changed at all recently? It could be a UTI...esp. if he is going more often than before.

Go outside with him for awhile and say "Good Potty!" when he goes, this will associate him going to the bathroom with the word "potty". Laika goes to the bathroom on command...Aztec starts looking for a place to go (he is a bit more of a shy bladder :lol:). It has saved me a lot of time at rest stops. It also makes it so you can take them out, and know they went before coming in.

You can also check into bell training him to alert you he wants out. Most dogs eventually learn a way to let you know, but some need a little help.
 
Aztec

1st Answer Darcy is fixed so no more boy bits for him. He didn't mark it was more like in the heat of the playing he stopped and started peeing. Like play hard pee hard.

2nd Answer It has not changed recently we've always had the issue of missing the sign and him peeing by the back door but not it seems to be leaving the back door area.

3rd Answer Funny enough you say "good potty"..this issue seems to be a husband taking him out issue. When I let Darcy out I always keep my head popped out side to reward him with "good potty" I also say "go potty" and I don't think my husband does so maybe he's waiting for the command?!

I tried the bell and I don't think I trained him right. Maybe I'll read back up on bell training. I would love to have him give me a sign.

Seems we have more potting issues in the evening but never in the mornings.
 
Most people have a schedule in the morning. Wake up, let the dog out. Esablishing an evening routine might help as well.

Aztec has been a door scratcher since he was a pup...Laika sits by the back door looking forlorn. She will 'woof' if she has to go bad enough.

Do you remember when you have a little puppy and you just have to wach for if they are getting ansy? Is he giving any signs like that...looking confused, walking in circles, sniffing...If he does take him out right then!

What is your reaction when he pees inside? You do not need to be harsh to him in anyway, but you are expressing your displeasure? Many shelties truly hate to dissapoint their owners.

I wouldn't put him past not going potty without a command. If he knows what it means...If I let Aztec out and don't tell him "go potty" he thinks he is outside purely for his own enjoyment and is outside chasing squirrels or laying in the sunshine.

I would establish a potty schedule for a little while to try to get him on track. My thought is that right now he doesn't feel like it is a big enough deal to tell you about. If it gets to be that he realizes how important it is to potty outside, he will tell you when he needs to go out.
 
Aztec gave you good information. I would just like to add that you mentioned going out two different doors. I believe it is recommended that your dog only goes out one door to go potty. If you teach him to use the bells everytime he goes out, then he will soon realize that he needs to ring the bells. The only problem then is that the sheltie likes to ring the bell and watch you open the door, even if he doesn't want to go outside. As soon as he is completely consistent, you can let him out less often.

While he is still potty training, I would let him out the door any time he rings the bells, even if it's only 10 minutes since he went out.
 
Bell technique

We have used the bell ringing technique,and it worked wonderfully here.It was used on a rescue we had about 3 years ago.Once she got the hang of it,she never failed to ring the bell to alert us,she was at the door.

I am going to do the same with Trapp.Hopefully he will catch on.Using the same door to exit the house is most definatley a good thing to do.With us,we only use the back entrance for Earnhardt,as it leads to the fenced yard.
 
Just to add that some dogs do suffer from excitement weeing. You mentioned Darcy having an accident while playing with the other dogs and this could be excitement weeing.

Cadbury was prone to this up until he was over a year. He once had an accident when a guest called he got so excited to see the man and went on the carpet. He also was prone to having an accident as we entered our old training class. It used to be in the evenings when he was tired, he would go in the door, get over-excited and the next thing there was a puddle.

And the times he rolled on his back in submission to another dog and produced a 'fountain'! He even had an accident in my new trainer's office - though this was due to marking behaviour.

Anyway, Cadbury improved by himself though I did keep him confined to the kitchen until I was sure. The advice Aztec gave about routines and going back to basics is definitely worth a try. Hope you can get it sorted soon.
 
Sorry for the confusion I only have one door leading to the back yard. I had a bell hanging from the handle and he never was interested in using the bell. Maybe I should try a different bell.

Thanks for all the great advice. I will be restarting the bell training this weekend.
 
I let Aztec out and don't tell him "go potty" he thinks he is outside purely for his own enjoyment and is outside chasing squirrels or laying in the sunshine.

Snap is the same way... I can let him out in the yard and he will often pee on command if he really needs to go; however, if I don't watch him and make sure that he has pee'd, I can't assume that he has.
 
I feel for you. I have a similar problem but I don't know with which one of my two. One, or both, will poo in my basement when I am not around or at night. They will also poo in my parent's and sister's basements too! (thank goodness their poops are hard and easy to clean) I've sprayed to get rid of the smell etc. They hold it upstairs and will not go, but the second I leave them downstairs or leave the door open at night, one of them will go! So now, they are not allowed downstaris by themselves and the door is closed at all times unless I go there. I can't figure it out at all. I hope you get to the bottom of your problem :yes:
 
Back
Top