Missing the signs?

It doesn't sound like UTI since he doesn't pee in his crate. It could be excitement, so you'll need to monitor that.

Does he ever poo inside or is it only pee?

In the meantime, I would go back to Puppy Potty Training 101.

That means crate him when you are not around. Work on a schedule, and ensure that he has opportunity to pee after waking, after eating, after playing. If he goes, great! Praise and treat him like he's the bestest pup ever! If he doesn't go, either crate him again if you can't watch him or keep an eagle on him. Try again 10-15 minutes later.

Good luck!
 
fourgalore, sorry you are having a rough time with potty training. It can be soooo frustrating. While we were in Atlanta this past month, Ember kept pooing in the house! I felt like a complete failure. She FINALLY got it and started potting out side, but I still felt like if I turned my back, she would potty on the floor again! Now, at home she's fine! She goes to the door, and if I don't notice, she turns around and barks at me, as to say, MOM, I got to go NOW! Good luck, He'll get it and hopefully soon.
 
Oh, thought I might add, just to make you feel better. Last Christmas Cadbury committed the most utterly appalling sin!

I was helping move chairs in church and I had Cadbury on lead. The vicar (fortunately a dog person) said let him off the lead. I wasn't sure, but he said 'go on.' So I did.

The church is Saxon (about 1,000 years old) has BIG stone pillars. Guess who went up to the stone pillar nearest the rood screen and pee'd up it. Yep...

And then to complete the blasphemy, he did a poo on the carpet. I was mortified, I thought he was completely house-trained. Then someone told me that because the church was old it probably didn't smell like a 'house' so he didn't realise that he shouldn't mess in it.

Good job God loves dogs isn't it?
 
Oh, thought I might add, just to make you feel better. Last Christmas Cadbury committed the most utterly appalling sin!

I was helping move chairs in church and I had Cadbury on lead. The vicar (fortunately a dog person) said let him off the lead. I wasn't sure, but he said 'go on.' So I did.

The church is Saxon (about 1,000 years old) has BIG stone pillars. Guess who went up to the stone pillar nearest the rood screen and pee'd up it. Yep...

And then to complete the blasphemy, he did a poo on the carpet. I was mortified, I thought he was completely house-trained. Then someone told me that because the church was old it probably didn't smell like a 'house' so he didn't realise that he shouldn't mess in it.

Good job God loves dogs isn't it?

I can't imagine how I would have felt if my dog consecrated church ground with urine! Different type of holy water, for sure! Sure hope the vicar had a sense of humour!
 
Ok --- one more story

My friend with the 11 mo old male Aussie pulled a good one at the beach. He left us to go over to investigate a lady that was lying on her towel. She sat up when he arrived and spoke to him. He promptly circled around behind her and lifted his leg on her back, soaking her white tank top. His handler had followed him, but didn't get there quickly enough. Needless to say, it was one for the embarrassment records.
 
Now I don't feel so bad about Deska. He has started peeing on the flyball equipment - an even bigger sin than peeing in a church (only just) and now has been banned from the next flyball comp. He even peed on a box of books when we were visiting a friend!

Don't know why he has started doing this - he only ever marked where other dogs have peed, but now he just wants to mark everything himself. I wonder if this behaviour can be curbed. Hope so or he will miss the last flyball comp for the year as well.
 
Another option that hasn't been mentioned here is a male belly band. If you have had him checked and he doesn't have a UTI (and even if he does) he's still not respecting your house. In the heat of play or excitemtent they will feel the urge to relieve themselves. Along with going back to puppy potty training 101 try the band on him. When he's out of his crate. I have dogs coming in and going out of my house all of the time in my rescue work. Most of them don't know how to communciate with me about their needs in the first few days of my caring for them so we use the band and the female pants on them until I'm sure they know how to ask or until I can read their body language. Some of these dogs are neutered and some are intact and will I care for them until we can get them to the vet for their surgery. These belly bands and female pants have saved my furniture and my sanity more than once. The real headache is when I have an un-neutered male in the house and then take in an un-spayed female... BOTH wear pants and are let out to potty separately until we can get an appointment for their surgeries!

Hugs
Judy
 
Another option that hasn't been mentioned here is a male belly band. The real headache is when I have an un-neutered male in the house and then take in an un-spayed female... BOTH wear pants and are let out to potty separately until we can get an appointment for their surgeries!
Hugs
Judy

that would not be good if two got together....................
 
I don't know if this will help or not, but Smudge used to have this problem, only it was a lot milder. His problem was he became angry/excited/upset when I would leave somewhere without him and go all over the living room floor (that just got new carpet not three years ago!). Is it a possibility some of it could be separation anxiety? He would never do it when I was there, but the moment I went outside to get the mail or bring in groceries away he'd go. I'm able to stick to a schedule more now than I was when I first got him.

This is what I do with Smudge to make sure he goes. There's a little grassy area inside his fenced in area around the porch. I take him on the leash and say, "Go the bathroom." I have the leash so he doesn't get to run around and play. He goes one way and then I wait a little while longer until he goes the other way. After he's finished doing both we both go back inside.

Of course now he's a little bit older. I have to stay inside and wait for him to finish now otherwise he won't go without a lot of argument. :rolleyes2:
 
Back
Top