My girl has Lyme! Needing advice, and offering some of my own.

Hello, everyone!

We’re not out of the woods yet but my little Naga had her third day of fluids and her levels are ‘headed in the right direction’ according to the vet. Her creatine went down a whole level (still fairly high but a marked improvement). She’s going back on Monday but she’ll spend tonight and Sunday home which I’m happy for. Also a short break from a couple of the meds. I’ll make sure it’s a fun but restful time for her. I bought some kidney friendly food, kidney gold, and probiotics (since she’s still on doxy).

I know it’s too soon to go crazy but I can’t help but feel like I’m getting a little Halloween miracle. Every day she’s by my side feels like a blessing.
 
Sounds like you are on the right path, I'm sure this has been so stressful, and it's especially hard with a young dog who you don't expect to have any health issues with for years. I hope you enjoy the time she is home and that the ongoing treatment will get her back to normal.
 
Afternoon, everyone!

Over the weekend we were told to bring Naga in on Monday and Tuesday for more fluids - but the vet was happy with her numbers on Monday. She’s going back for another check up on the 12th but until then, she just needs to eat her prescription diet and keep taking her Doxy and Alternagel with meals. I also got her started on the probiotic per her vet.

She’s eating and drinking on her own again! I wish she’d do both a little more but my husband is convinced she’s actually at her normal level from before she was sick. Maybe I’m crazy!

Sometimes she loves her Hills K/D but other times she won’t touch it. She loves Purina N/F unwaveringly. I have yogurt, pumpkin, and chicken on standby in case I need to coax her again.

Maybe I should post this in diets/supplements but both Naga and my cat are CRAZY for Vetnique Labs Profivex, pork liver flavor. I worry it’s a little fatty but I had to hide the jar from them! They’ll even lick a bowl of dry food clean for it.

I’ve got the kidney gold but I’m thinking I should hold off until she’s done with her antibiotics. Today was day 15 of 28. I think she’ll feel even better once she’s not taking them anymore.
 
An excellent update. Kidneys are just so worrisome. I just met a 5 month old Goldendoodle pup at another (!!) Sheltie birthday party. The dog had gotten some marijuana from a preserve area where she was off leash. Her kidneys apparently were affected to the point where the vet said she'd never seen urine so dilute. :( But now they are wondering if it is Diabetes insipidus instead. Yikes.
 
Just a general post, a little vent, but nothing too bad.


Naga had her blood taken on Saturday for a full health screening. I can NOT relax until we have answers; I’m so anxious. If I don’t get a call tomorrow I’ll call them and ask when I can expect to hear back, because I’m all but waiting by the phone every day at this rate. :’D They already think I’m crazy over there


Thankfully Naga is acting and feeling completely normal; though I learned my husband was sneaking her some of her old non KD food with her other stuff in the morning which has me worried. He said he’d stop, and that it was only a little. Other than that I was so glad to see her eating again. Her appetite is pretty much back to normal other than some fussiness (she stopped liking her Hills KD, I think because she was wolfing it down while feeling sick she associates it with feeling crappy - not sure what to do with my stock other than hope she likes it again someday! Toppings and mix ins don’t really work on her but sometimes I can mix a little if it into her other KD food).


She finished her antibiotics today! Does anyone know how long I have to wait before starting her on milk thistle?


I got a few highly recommended supplements for her (a probiotic, phos-bind, and kidney gold though I had to wait until she was done with her antibiotics to start it). I also got her several types of KD friendly treats and thankfully she went nuts for each one.


I’m a little frustrated with my vet for adopting such a wait-and-see approach initially and even recently. They also recommended advantix (which I was using but have stopped) or a seresto collar. I learned thanks to these forums that those are potentially dangerous. Ugh!


Thank you all for the tips and support though. You have all been so helpful!
 
Absolutely nothing worse than waiting on results, and I know patience is not a virtue I possess! If the bloodwork was done Saturday I would definitely have expected results by now! Who cares if they think you're too anxious, I would call them, if it were me.

We use Credelio for fleas and ticks and I can tell you it absolutely works on ticks. It is an oral monthly. None of my pups have any trouble or reaction to it. Glad to hear Naga is feeling lots better and I hope once the antibiotics are done and if her bloodwork is normal, that maybe you can transition back to her regular food. I would just caution against too high of a protein content since that is a bit harder on kidneys. Hang in there!
 
I wouldn’t wait to start her on milk thistle. It’s usually recommended they take it while they’re on antibiotics. The best one for dogs is Denamarin. It’s what they put my Ruffles on who just had her gallbladder out.

I hope you get results soon! I agree with Sharon, it’s a ridiculously long time to wait. My vet has them next day. I’d be calling too! Keep us posted.
 
Back
Top