My puppy has fleas!! Using Frontline Plus!

Jinee1

Forums Regular
Hello. I have a 6 month old Sable puppy. We've had her for about 5 weeks now. Since then, I gave her two treatments of Frontline Plus. Her last dose was about a week ago. I don't think she had fleas then.

We were on vacation for the weekend, and my puppy went to the boarding place for 2 nights and 3 days. They had about 15 dogs of their own and 3 they were boarding. I was told that our puppy was placed with their own puppy and 2 that were visiting, playing together well.

Well, we got pur puppy back on Sunday afternoon. That evening, when I was scratching her ears and neck, I felt something. I looked and it looked like black dirt. I thought she was playing with other puppies and got some dirt around her neck and ears area. THEN, yesterday I saw something crawling around her neck area. Yes, it was a flea. I caught about 5 yesterday and 5 more today. Yuck!! We have a hard wood floor and she only stays in that area. I did a quick internet search and it says for 10 fleas you see, there are like 500 eggs and larvae in the dog and home.

My question is, our puppy was treated with Frontline Plus a week ago and how can she have fleas?? She could have had it and we didn't know or she could have contracted then from the borders. I have no idea. But how do I get rid of them? Is it safe to treat my puppy with frontline plus only a week after the last treatment? I'm washing all her bedding etc. I've vacuumed the entire house. I'm going to get a flea shampoo and bath her today. Do I need to call an exterminator?

This is our first puppy and first flea fighting and it's totally grossing me out. She doesn't seem to be too bothered by it though. Only scratching occasionally. When I searched her for fleas, there were lots of black dirts around her neck and ears area, which I now know is dried up blood?? Yuck and poor puppy!!
 
Last edited:
wash everything you can wash towels, doggie beds, mats etc, vacuum house well, give puppy bath with shampoo, nothing medicated, just general gentle doggie shampoo does work well, soap first neck area real good then rest of the body. If it just happened you will be fine. You might need to give bath several days in a row, it is ok to do.
 
Funny thing - my vet and I were talking about fleas when I had Liam in for his shots. New thinking - DON'T vacuum well as the motion of the vacuum mimics a dog's walking and causes the cocoons to hatch. I don't have a flea problem, so I haven't tried this and hopefully I don't have to. I forget what he said the study also said, but this one point stuck out to me.
 
You may have frontline resistant fleas if the frontline doesn't take care of them. You may need to see your vet for Vectra 3D instead. It's what I used when I had frontline resistant fleas
 
Hello. I have a 6 month old Sable puppy. We've had her for about 5 weeks now. Since then, I gave her two treatments of Frontline Plus. Her last dose was about a week ago. I don't think she had fleas then.

We were on vacation for the weekend, and my puppy went to the boarding place for 2 nights and 3 days. They had about 15 dogs of their own and 3 they were boarding. I was told that our puppy was placed with their own puppy and 2 that were visiting, playing together well.

Well, we got pur puppy back on Sunday afternoon. That evening, when I was scratching her ears and neck, I felt something. I looked and it looked like black dirt. I thought she was playing with other puppies and got some dirt around her neck and ears area. THEN, yesterday I saw something crawling around her neck area. Yes, it was a flea. I caught about 5 yesterday and 5 more today. Yuck!! We have a hard wood floor and she only stays in that area. I did a quick internet search and it says for 10 fleas you see, there are like 500 eggs and larvae in the dog and home.

My question is, our puppy was treated with Frontline Plus a week ago and how can she have fleas?? She could have had it and we didn't know or she could have contracted then from the borders. I have no idea. But how do I get rid of them? Is it safe to treat my puppy with frontline plus only a week after the last treatment? I'm washing all her bedding etc. I've vacuumed the entire house. I'm going to get a flea shampoo and bath her today. Do I need to call an exterminator?

This is our first puppy and first flea fighting and it's totally grossing me out. She doesn't seem to be too bothered by it though. Only scratching occasionally. When I searched her for fleas, there were lots of black dirts around her neck and ears area, which I now know is dried up blood?? Yuck and poor puppy!!

Frontline Plus can be only used once a month. Frontline Plus does work for our Mally.

Last summer Mally had fleas (Vectra did not work for him) The first month on Frontline Plus, he still had some fleas, but the 2nd month on Frontline Plus they were gone.
 
Comfortis

Hi,
Our puppy had fleas also. I was using Frontline Plus on him. He was scratching like crazy. I took a closer look at his skin and saw flea dirt. Yuck! Our vet's office told us to use Comfortis. My husband drove over to get it right away. The instructions said to give the pill after a meal. Our puppy had relief in an hour!! I was so happy! It just broke my heart to see him scratching like that.

Now, our vet said that there is a medicine that has Interceptor and Comfortis all in one called Trifexis. They did a price match with a company I found online that had a good price. It was cheaper than buying the two together, plus there is the added benefit of protection against worms. There is no protection against ticks however.

I just bought the Trifexis, so I haven't given it to him yet. He is 16 months old now.

Good luck!
 
Hi,
Our puppy had fleas also. I was using Frontline Plus on him. He was scratching like crazy. I took a closer look at his skin and saw flea dirt. Yuck! Our vet's office told us to use Comfortis. My husband drove over to get it right away. The instructions said to give the pill after a meal. Our puppy had relief in an hour!! I was so happy! It just broke my heart to see him scratching like that.

Now, our vet said that there is a medicine that has Interceptor and Comfortis all in one called Trifexis. They did a price match with a company I found online that had a good price. It was cheaper than buying the two together, plus there is the added benefit of protection against worms. There is no protection against ticks however.

I just bought the Trifexis, so I haven't given it to him yet. He is 16 months old now.

Good luck!

Trifexis has no added benefit more than Interceptor and Comfortis.
The only difference is that the two medicines are combined in one pill. Exact same ingredients-exact same benefits. I prefer to spread the pills out over the month and not give them at the same time but I realize that a lot of people would prefer to only give one pill and not two.
 
My last dog got fleas while on Frontline. And I know of about 3 other people that had the same problem. I started using K9 Advantix and haven't had any problems.
 
Because everyone needlessly uses topical pesticides, and now we have resistant fleas. Evolution in action!

Funny you should mention that.
So this weekend I'm writing up the 'Flea and Tick ' lecture for our website, including a comparison with the pluses and minuses, from our viewpoint and experience, of the various products available.
Its a rather daunting task - consider that we now have competing, amongst others, and not even counting all the OTC pyrethrin spots-

Comfortis,
Certifect,
Trifexis,
Assurity,
Vectra 3D,
Revolution,
Preventic,
Advantage,
Advantage Multi,
Frontline,
Frontline Plus,
Parastar,
Program,
Sentinel,
and Capstar.

Whew! :rolleyes2: - Dr. Mac
 
Back
Top