My worst fear realized!

OMG I just about had a heart attack this morning…
I’d taken Piper to a hardware store (I call it the cookie store) to get some sand for my patio. I took him in the house when I got home and went through the gate to bring the sand into the yard…unbeknownst to me the gate hadn’t shut tight and there was a slight breeze that opened it. I go in the house and all three dogs wanted out, I let them out and went to turn the kettle on. I was in the house for less than 5 minutes but when I went outside I only saw Finnie. Panic quickly set in! My neighbour was outside so I asked him if he’d seen them and he had so I knew they weren’t stolen, yet…so I went searching for them in my car driving up and down the blocks. I’d driven down a couple and back up a couple without seeing either when I saw a flash of white…Blueberry! I quickly pulled over practically blocking the intersection leaving my car door open. Blueberry saw me and ran across the street near where 2 ladies were walking. I asked them to try to grab her and then remembered I had treats in my purse. I sat down on the sidewalk and calmly tried to coax Blueberry to me and after what seemed like forever she came within a foot of me. As she reached for the treat I grabbed her by her ruff! She yelped but I was NOT letting go! One down….
I continued driving looking for Piper, I knew once I found him he’d be easy to get but it was the finding…
After driving up and down the streets (I’m residential and fortunately they had managed to avoid the busy streets) I saw Piper casually walking down the sidewalk near an intersection. I pulled over, opened my door and said GET OVER HERE!!! Then I thought better of it and said come here baby, good boy! because I was so incredibly happy I’d found them both!
What a day…never again will my gate be unlocked…thing is they’re locked all the time but this time was just a mental break…my error in not locking it immediately after coming in the yard.
My next project is working with Blueberry on her recall…the only way I was able to get her to come to me was by getting down to her level…she’s got the worst recall!
I can breathe again but you can bet I won’t be taking my eyes off them from now on!
OMG!!!! The terror you must have felt!! ❤❤
 
So very glad you had a happy ending to this misadventure. I am a little surprised you didn't find them together.
Once every one is inside for the night. You have earned and adult beverage of your choice to calm those nerves. :)
Back when I was a kid, I remember my dad put a heavy duty spring on our gate. It was harder to open, but would slam shut everytime. It kept me in the yard when I was small.
I was surprised they didn’t stick together as well! I tried to figure out the route they’d taken…my back gate leads you to either the back lane or the cross street (I’m a corner lot) and only thing I can figure is Blueberry and Piper took the lane and then they turned down the next lane and they must’ve split up at the end of the lane. Of course I am just speculating but I drove down my street initially looking for them and didn’t see Blueberry. Piper I can’t figure out where he was going lol…he was doing a big loop, possibly trying to find his way home or back to the hardware store we go to.
This is the map of my area, Piper is green and Blueberry is red. Funny but Blueberry hadn’t travelled far at all compared to Piper.D0C0185B-6ED8-4480-AA61-95A2AFAC4C9E.jpeg
 
I had the back garden gate left open by meter readers. At the time my two standard poodles trotted over to a neighbor they liked and sat on his porch so my search only took a couple of minutes as they called us to let us know. It is very frightening. I'm happy you got the gang back without harm. Well, except for your mental pain that you must have gone through,
 
I was surprised they didn’t stick together as well! I tried to figure out the route they’d taken…my back gate leads you to either the back lane or the cross street (I’m a corner lot) and only thing I can figure is Blueberry and Piper took the lane and then they turned down the next lane and they must’ve split up at the end of the lane. Of course I am just speculating but I drove down my street initially looking for them and didn’t see Blueberry. Piper I can’t figure out where he was going lol…he was doing a big loop, possibly trying to find his way home or back to the hardware store we go to.
This is the map of my area, Piper is green and Blueberry is red. Funny but Blueberry hadn’t travelled far at all compared to Piper.View attachment 18946
I think they both were trying to find the Cannabis shop
 
Oh my goodness Lisa - what a fright!!!!! I am so happy you got them back but this is my GREATEST fear. I know Brodie would panic and that would be it - recall shot, glazed over fear like I see when thunder starts up. I can't imagine EVER being comfortable enough to take them somewhere and go off leash with them - the pain of losing them prevents me from ever doing that. In fact, when we bring them strange places, I double up - I attached the leash to both a slip collar - not their normal collar and their harness. I shopped carefully to get a harness I felt comfortable with and feel they cannot slip out of. I am SOOOOO happy everyone is safe and sound. Could you put a closer on your gate, you know like the ones you see in public building or on screen doors that have the pistol that presses them closed? It would at least push the gate closed if you don't and provide a bit of pressure against noses trying to open it.

I think they both were trying to find the Cannabis shop

Karen - you are a hoot!!! Thanks for the giggle!
 
Oh my goodness Lisa - what a fright!!!!! I am so happy you got them back but this is my GREATEST fear. I know Brodie would panic and that would be it - recall shot, glazed over fear like I see when thunder starts up. I can't imagine EVER being comfortable enough to take them somewhere and go off leash with them - the pain of losing them prevents me from ever doing that. In fact, when we bring them strange places, I double up - I attached the leash to both a slip collar - not their normal collar and their harness. I shopped carefully to get a harness I felt comfortable with and feel they cannot slip out of. I am SOOOOO happy everyone is safe and sound. Could you put a closer on your gate, you know like the ones you see in public building or on screen doors that have the pistol that presses them closed? It would at least push the gate closed if you don't and provide a bit of pressure against noses trying to open it.



Karen - you are a hoot!!! Thanks for the giggle!
I’m like you Sandy, even Piper who has the best recall I know would run after another dog if he was off leash. Blueberry off leash is impossible to catch! It’s a good thing I had treats in my purse or I may never have caught her! Good idea about the gate closures…I’m going to go to the hardware store tomorrow and see if they sell them! My gates are typically locked unless company or a delivery is expected but you get these people who don’t shut the gate tight. I’ve seen these on peoples gates…https://www.amazon.ca/Hillman-85136...locphy=9001183&hvtargid=pla-338265802724&th=1 at least it would ensure it stays closed with those nosy Sheltie noses around!
 
Back
Top