Nature's Variety Frozen Raw Food?

BarbV

Forums Celebrity
Ok, first of all "frozen, raw" seems to be an oxymoron!

http://www.naturesvariety.com/

What is the opinion of the raw feeding group on the forum?

To me, when I first started to experiment with raw it was the bone I was interested in (to help with dental health). This product has no bone. Its either chunks or minced into patties.

What is your opinion about this and similar frozen products? Does this fit the "raw model" that you raw feeders are trying to achieve?

I'm trying to decide whether to keep it is my store. Thanks much in advance for your feedback!
 
I buy it to supplement kibble. The nuggets, not the patties. It's also a good way to add variety. It's especially good for the bred girls, to help the, keep weight on.
 
I wish my store would sell the raw too. I most certainly would buy it as a supplement. Read the ingredient list.. the bone is in there... but of course you don't get the benefit of cleaning teeth you do still get the minerals. This is just so helpful for people who may want to feed a complete raw diet but are worried that they may not feed a balanced meal when buying the meats seperatly themself. You may notice that Natures Variety does also sell raw meaty frozen bones. Go through instinct and you will find it under treats.
 
I feed those as well, Barb!
It's real easy and convient for travel, for example!
also easy to defrost in microwae and give to dog half frozen, lo.. that help the teeth
lol
 
I feed those as well, Barb!
It's real easy and convient for travel, for example!
also easy to defrost in microwae and give to dog half frozen, lo.. that help the teeth
lol

I thought that using the microwave on them was a big big no no, because it contains bones and therefore it makes the bone a bit brittle and could cause intestinal damage. I pet sat for a friend and she didn't even want it thawed in warm water, as she didn't want to change the brittleness of the bone.
 
We also carry Honest Kitchen dehydrated food as well. I'm even more confused about that!

Help educate me!
 
I wish my store would sell the raw too. I most certainly would buy it as a supplement. Read the ingredient list.. the bone is in there... but of course you don't get the benefit of cleaning teeth you do still get the minerals. This is just so helpful for people who may want to feed a complete raw diet but are worried that they may not feed a balanced meal when buying the meats seperatly themself. You may notice that Natures Variety does also sell raw meaty frozen bones. Go through instinct and you will find it under treats.

I'll have to look to see if I can order the frozen bones.....I don't think I saw it on my order list, but I'll look again.

Thx much
 
I thought that using the microwave on them was a big big no no, because it contains bones and therefore it makes the bone a bit brittle and could cause intestinal damage. I pet sat for a friend and she didn't even want it thawed in warm water, as she didn't want to change the brittleness of the bone.

You friend is probably right! However the bits of bone are ground so small there is nothing to worry about (imo). I wouldn't microwave any regular meat that I feed and NEVER bones, either. I don't advocate it, just saying I do in a pinch, and patties only. Low on defrost only and then serve it mostly frozen, lol
I prefer whole food over patties, but ohmygosh it's so convenient and easy to mix it it up, lol Plus my cat loves it, too

Barb, dehydrated food is also good, lol
If you can get dehydrated, small cut up pieces of tripe you can sell it as doggy crack :) IT's worth its weight in Gold, I pay $15 a bag for 15 ounces, lol
dehydrated liver or lung is also good, but cheaper... once you get the dog training crowd, I tell ya... It's so worth it!! I buy mine at tailwaggrs pet store here, when I substitute my whole meat with patties and buy dehydrated liver and tripe, if I can get it!!
 
Last edited:
You friend is probably right! However the bits of bone are ground so small there is nothing to worry about (imo). I wouldn't microwave any regular meat that I feed and NEVER bones, either. I don't advocate it, just saying I do in a pinch, and patties only. Low on defrost only and then serve it mostly frozen, lol
I prefer whole food over patties, but ohmygosh it's so convenient and easy to mix it it up, lol Plus my cat loves it, too

Barb, dehydrated food is also good, lol
If you can get dehydrated, small cut up pieces of tripe you can sell it as doggy crack :) IT's worth its weight in Gold, I pay $15 a bag for 15 ounces, lol
dehydrated liver or lung is also good, but cheaper... once you get the dog training crowd, I tell ya... It's so worth it!! I buy mine at tailwaggrs pet store here, when I substitute my whole meat with patties and buy dehydrated liver and tripe, if I can get it!!

Tell me more! Tell me more! I'm really trying to figure out how to market the raw and dehydrated. I've got a few regular customers who know what they want and they just buy it. But to convert others over, I've not a clue.....or how to advertise that I carry the product for those not already buying at my store....hmmmmmm! Maybe I need to advertise that?
 
Tell me more! Tell me more! I'm really trying to figure out how to market the raw and dehydrated. I've got a few regular customers who know what they want and they just buy it. But to convert others over, I've not a clue.....or how to advertise that I carry the product for those not already buying at my store....hmmmmmm! Maybe I need to advertise that?

that's a conundrum... You wouldn't need to have to convert people, just offer it as an alternative, as I am sure you don't want to canibalize your own business in the kibble dog food, lol. I think tho that once the raw feeders get wind of that you have it, conveniently pre-packaged in patty form for a reasonable price they WILL come

I would totally advertise it, you have it...
"Hard to please pooch? See if he won't like what we have!"
Or "if you're looking for alternative, healthy dog food we also offer the best in raw food, come see us"

I would try and just get the word out, I am sure in Ottawa are enough people looking for this to be available to them. An alternative to kibble... I have a lot of people ask me, once they hear I feed raw well, heck where can you buy it, etc etc

The dried stuff... for example hard to train dogs with treats if they aren't food motivated, like Scotty.. I train with him and he will not eat ANY treats after about five minutes, lol He gets more interested in everything else around him and he is not as toy motivated yet as I like him to be either...
So what do I do? I experiment and find out the little bugger will pay attention to me for a whole hour only IF I have the dried tripe as a reward.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top