New foster dog

Sharon7

Moderator
Well, it's been a busy holiday season! Almost a month ago, I volunteered to foster a 6 month old puppy recovering from a broken leg. He had been at the shelter in the vet kennels, so I hadn't met him until he was almost done with his cage rest. Wonton (I didn't name him!!) is a Chihuahua mix puppy. We are guessing the other part might be Italian greyhound or whippet - he has really long thin legs and runs like a greyhound. He's about 11 inches tall.

Our volunteer was down south picking up an Australian Shepherd at a high-kill shelter, when a lady walked in behind her with a puppy in a cardboard box. She said she had found him (who knows?) under a bush. His right hind leg was broken. Afraid the shelter would put him straight to sleep, or worse yet, let him sit with a broken leg for a few days without treatment, and then PTS, she told the lady, "don't even go up to the counter here - just put him in my car and I'll take him to our shelter, where he'll get fixed up". The woman said OK, and so there he was.

He was only about 3 months old at that time. And, altho I am definitely not a Chi person, this is an EXCEPTIONAL little dog. He actually does not have a Chi personality. Not yappy, no big attitude, just sweet, gentle and oh, so loving. He adores all other dogs, any size, and he and our pet bunny are buddies. He would like to befriend our cat too but Mario is too skittish.

I just love this little guy, he is a lot of work ( 8.5 years since I last had a pup!) but also a lot of fun, and a laugh a minute. Loves his squeaky toys and rope toys, will entertain himself quite well.

The girls don't care for him - you can practically see them roll their eyes - but they tolerate him OK. They're funny dogs, they like other dogs, but at their own home, they'd much rather it was just the two of them. :rolleyes2:

I will attempt to attach a picture of the little squirt. He may be adopted this weekend by someone interested in him - it will be hard to say goodbye.

Sharon
 

Attachments

  • Wonton.jpg
    Wonton.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Wonton2.jpg
    Wonton2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Wonton3.jpg
    Wonton3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
What a sweet story!! If we lived closer we'd want to be on the list of potential adopters!!... He has the exact look that my son would go crazy for and from the sound of his personality he and Miko would be become fast friends!! :smile2:
 
He has the kind of face that just makes you smile and want to hug him, what a sweetie. And I admit I love the name too!
 
Great story,glad you were there to rescue him. Funny little face he has and sound like a personality to match. Hope he has his forever home soon.
 
Back
Top