New Pup for Barb and Indy????

I think you are correct. I did hesitate before meeting her and after. But I did like how the dogs finally interacted, and how she interacted with me so I said yes....but got no. Can't help but take it personally.....as if I was found wanting somehow. :(

Barb, I am sorry you lost Gem...but I honestly don't think it was personal at all. If the breeder felt Gem would be happier in a single doggie home, then it is best for her and for you that she go to that situation. Gem just wasn't the right fit.

"Your" little dog is out there waiting and the fit will be right when you find her/him.

Trini
 
If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you have to be as comfortable with the breeder as you are with the dog. You should be able to expect to rely on the breeder for questions, advice and help if you need it. If your instinct tells you this is not a breeder with whom that's the case, you're better off with someone else. A good breeder should be as interested in the dog's future and home as you are.

So if you felt awkward in the situation, it's probably not someone you want an ongoing relationship with. There's another dog out there for you.
 
Yeah, I'm bummed because I lost her. Breeder said that she decided that Gem would be better placed in a single dog home.

I have to take that as truth, but I also suspect that she didn't appreciate me asking her to pay for the spay. I did not think it unreasonable, given the ask price of the dog.v. She seemed to question my finances as a result of trying to negotiate. I don't think I was unreasonable, but perhaps he thought so.

And while I may have bonded with the Gem, I may not have bonded with the breeder. It did feel uncomfortable, our visit.

So, the search continues. :sadsmile: I know there is another pup out there.....

I think some breeders get really holier-than-thou about price. It's not a rude or inappropriate request to negotiate. If the breeder won't change price , that's fine, but you're not out of line to ask. Ever.
 
I did not think so...., but as you say, Chris, some breeders might take offense. I think, bottom line, is that the breeder and I just did not connect. Or maybe, its exactly as she said, and she felt it better that Gem went to a single dog family. I'll never know.

But I DO know, that I will keep looking....and maybe it won't be a Sheltie....I've actually submitted an application for a rescue puppy mill Pom! Yep! (I actually started this before Bacca died.....thinking I wanted a third dog.....)
 
To be fair to the breeder, she is very active in showing her dogs. She is also very active in searching for any of her dogs who have gone missing and any missing dog for that matter - she posts constantly on her FB page missing pets. She is active in teaching obedience. She knows her dogs. If she felt the dog was better in a one-dog home, then she called it right. Some dogs are. It is better that she said this to you rather than have you take the dog and then have to return her because she didn't fit with you and Indy.
 
I'm am one of those breeders that doesn't negotiate on price. If I were to be selling a young adult it would be spayed at my home and the new owner would be responsible for that as well. Having said all that, I placed Wiccan with former clients for the price of the spay. Why you ask??? Because they had already had 3 of my dogs over the years and I was retiring from breeding. I knew Wic would never want for anything and I would see her often. It isn't the money. It's trying to make sure that I can pay to do all the testing, find the right studs for my bitches, care for pups correctly and be ready and willing to take them back for the duration of their entire lives.
 
Ok....I don't want this to get into a debate about spay or not spay. There was never any question that the a companion dog gets spayed. PERIOD. The only question is was who pays for it.

I won't go into details, because its inappropriate, and already one other on the forum knows the dog I'm talking about. So I think its time to shut this thread down.....

Forum leaders....can you please shut this thread down at my request. I think you can make it searchable still, but I don't think we should be posting to it further. I will restart my "quest' on a new thread when I'm ready.
 
Usually the new perspective owner pays for the spay. The only time ive seen where the breeder will if its like a 6 year old bitch and the breeder will spay and have bitch recover at their house and then they go to their new home.

And as far as cost, no its not negotiable. When you try to barter for a dog that sends up flags for us on what else are you willing to skimp on for the dog??! Especially if its say a year old dog that we were growing out the just didnt work out for show. The shots are done, training is done, etc. There was alot of time and money put into the dog that we cant recoup but we are not going to take a even bigger hit money wise.
 
Forum leaders....can you please shut this thread down at my request. I think you can make it searchable still, but I don't think we should be posting to it further. I will restart my "quest' on a new thread when I'm ready.

Hi Barb, unfortunately, we do not close threads at the request of members. Forum policy states that you are responsible for what you post. We rarely lock threads and only do so when it is necessary like when warnings from moderators are ignored.

I think starting a new thread is a good idea. After you create it, post the link to it here and hopefully the conversation will move over there. Best of luck on your quest. I'm sure the right dog for you is just around the corner.
 
Hi Barb, unfortunately, we do not close threads at the request of members. Forum policy states that you are responsible for what you post. We rarely lock threads and only do so when it is necessary like when warnings from moderators are ignored.

I think starting a new thread is a good idea. After you create it, post the link to it here and hopefully the conversation will move over there. Best of luck on your quest. I'm sure the right dog for you is just around the corner.

I'm asking this simply because I think a few members have figured out the dog that I was after and the breeder. So I'm asking this to protect her privacy. the forum does have a policy of not profiling breeders......yes? I think, this thread has come close to treading that line.

So if you will not shut it down, I personally will no longer post to it. I'm very uncomfortable, and I guess my own fault for saying too much.

So, stay tuned everyone for the continuing saga of my quest......on another thread....
 
Back
Top