New puppy was not socialized well??

Cinder's Mom

Forums Novice
Hello. So puppy number two came home yesterday. She is a five month old tricolor. She has a very sweet disposition and seemed very happy when at the breeders. Now that she has come to her new home she has become excessively shy, spending most of her time in a corner unless I pull her out. My guess is aside from the vet this breeder did not socialize her well. I can get her to walk out side and she does play with the other puppy. Any suggestions how to help her with her anxiety?
 
ummm she just came home yesterday. It is going to take her a few days to settle into her new environment. Let her hang out in her crate, which im sure shes used to and move it into a living room or traffic area where she can see your every day happenings but still feel safe in her "den". Most likely coming from a breeder especially if its a show breeder she did probably spend time in an expen confined (as I can tell you mine are in an expen unless I can divide 100% attention to them as im not going to have puppies running willy nilly through my house!).
 
You haven't had her for very long. One day isn't nearly enough time for a puppy to get used to you. Just give her time and maybe take her to a puppy training classes. Good luck!
 
I guess I've been spoiled by my other dogs who had no fear at all when we brought them home. Ember is eating some but not as much as she was for the breeder. She did actually venture out of her crate this evening and played a little. I guess I forgot how different each dogs personality can be. As far as training she is already signed up for puppy classes along with our other baby. I wouldn't dare try and train on my own. :smile2:
 
Take your time bonding with that new dog!
Sorry to hear he seems shell shocked... don't go too fast or force the dog into anything at this time. Give it some time before you can compare the new pup to other dogs you have had :D The true personality will soon come out.
I hope the dog can overcome everything and you stay patient for however long the dog needs you to be going slow.

On a side note I continue to be increasingly dismayed to hear how many got a dog from a breeder who isn't socialized, it's shameful!
 
That's the problem with older puppies who haven't been exposed to a variety of experiences. Or rescue was a little older than your tri-color when we got him and he refused to go up or down steps in our house, although he was fully capable. It took several weeks before he was comfortable, but with the help of our older blue merle at the time, he caught on.

Give it time and be patient. She'll come around if you don't force her.
 
unless you ask your breeder, you won't know how well socialized she was. However, the puppy class will help a lot with shyness as it did with my sheltie pup who is a little over 5 months now. Also, take your puppy everywhere and meet all different kind of people. But that being said, give her time to warm up to you as it's a huge change for her.
 
To Melbel. I spoke with the breeder who has all of a sudden said "oh she has always acted terrified when she would leave the house". And the only place she has even been besides the breeders home was the vet. No wonder she's scared. I already plan on taking her for training. We are supposed to go camping but with her being so shell shocked I may stay home with her and send the rest of the crew. As much as I need to socialize her I think camping Amy be too much for her.
 
To Melbel. I spoke with the breeder who has all of a sudden said "oh she has always acted terrified when she would leave the house". And the only place she has even been besides the breeders home was the vet. No wonder she's scared. I already plan on taking her for training. We are supposed to go camping but with her being so shell shocked I may stay home with her and send the rest of the crew. As much as I need to socialize her I think camping Amy be too much for her.

OMG
that is HORRIBLE, the poor dear
Just cruel to not socialize a puppy, ack I'd be so mad.
Go slowly with the socialization now, ensure you take the time to bond with her, you can't flood her if she had NO socialization before this.
There are a few good threads on fear issues and so on here, and I think you're a great mom to her by realizing this camping would be too much for her at this stage!
 
Congratulations on your newest addition! You have been given some great advice. With time and patience (and some fun puppy classes) I have no doubt that your new baby will adjust and you won't be able to imagine life without her.

Wishing you all the best!

Kimberly

PS - Pictures of both babies please :winkgrin:
 
Back
Top